Freshwater Moray Eels

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Your eels will take floating pellets no problem. They seem to be quite sensitive to smell, though I feel quite blind. Youtube them eating floating pellets, it's a sight to see. So what type did you end up getting?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Your eels will take floating pellets no problem. They seem to be quite sensitive to smell, though I feel quite blind. Youtube them eating floating pellets, it's a sight to see. So what type did you end up getting?
Yea I saw the Youtube video right on the Wikipedia entry page that had a big banner across the screen while the video was playing that said "MONSTER FISH KEEPERS" LOL Irony.

I read that they are nearly blind also...that's odd...might explain why Divers have been attacked by them while trying to hand-feed Morays. I saw a show about a Diver who lost him thumb to a big Moray that he had been Diving with and feeding for years.....it just misjudged it's lunge and couldn't differentiate fish from thumb and ended up retching his thumb clean-off and ate them both!

We are talking an Eel in excess of 6 foot and as big around as my leg though, not one of these little guys.

These ended up being Gymnothorax tiles so I'm going to start learning how to keep brackish and eventually work them up to it as they mature. I need to learn saltwater anyway....I might have a new job that requires it, plus my best friend and my cousin's wife are both saltwater fans.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ yeah some people seem to have got their eels to eat floating foods, but so far for me no luck...

One of the eels though has become accustomed to me dropping food in the tank, and the smell of frozen prawns in the tank makes him go hunting...

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
^ yeah some people seem to have got their eels to eat floating foods, but so far for me no luck...

One of the eels though has become accustomed to me dropping food in the tank, and the smell of frozen prawns in the tank makes him go hunting...
So what......they go hunting when they smell the food, but they turn their noses up at it if it's dried?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
So crazy, I have been thinking for 2 months straight getting a sw moray eel tank going. I got the itch so bad, want a Mexican or Hawaiian dragon eel. The price of skimmer and live rock hurts and that's what is really keeping me off the project, that and the wife saying if I buy an eel she's buying a flipping pug, which eff that. Trying to work it in incognito, but it's been driving me crazy. I missed my polyurandon so bad I actually msged the guy I sold him to the other day. He sold him so trying to track the owner down.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
So what......they go hunting when they smell the food, but they turn their noses up at it if it's dried?
Its just that they seem to quite literally seem blind, like food right infront of them they will swim past a few times before eating it...

So crazy, I have been thinking for 2 months straight getting a sw moray eel tank going. I got the itch so bad, want a Mexican or Hawaiian dragon eel. The price of skimmer and live rock hurts and that's what is really keeping me off the project, that and the wife saying if I buy an eel she's buying a flipping pug, which eff that. Trying to work it in incognito, but it's been driving me crazy. I missed my polyurandon so bad I actually msged the guy I sold him to the other day. He sold him so trying to track the owner down.
I really wanted a S/W tank for a dragon moray as well, but not prepared to venture into a large S/W tank with zero experience in that area...

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I like being single. lol I read a protein skimmer isn't necessary , but IDK about live-rock. Pughs are actually kinda cool if you train them right......and this coming from a Pitbull-owner ;) They can be great little alarm-systems....and they're sweet little pups too, honestly....nothing wrong with a Pugh....a dog is a dog, dude. Make a deal - she gets a Pugh, you get a Mastiff or a Rottweiler or whatever or a Lab. Another FISH in a tank is NOT the same as buying a DOG. The dog is only gonna cost whatever you pay for it plus about $10,000 in Vet bills. Trust me, I have 5 dogs and 2 of them just had cancerous cysts removed. I'm not taking a MORAY to the Vet.

Ok, I might, but I'm PROBABLY not taking a Moray to the Vet.
Its just that they seem to quite literally seem blind, like food right infront of them they will swim past a few times before eating it...

I really wanted a S/W tank for a dragon moray as well, but not prepared to venture into a large S/W tank with zero experience in that area...
Learn by DOING, dude. I never did SW either, but U gotta learn sometime
IDK about the vision.....mine has been investigating his tank for the last 8 hours since I got him home and they both seem to recognize my face through the glass and retreat whenever I approach

Reactions: Fat Homer

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Ok, well it's been a few days and I was gonna wait a few more to try and feed them, but a bag of frozen shrimp found it's way to my freezer from the grocery store on Friday, so I set aside 2 raw shrimp and peeled and sliced them long-ways and used a pair of long-handled hemostats to dangle it in front of their hide-away-caves and they both ate a few pieces of it (ok, I lied, they straight-up ANNHILATED it). I was expecting a week or more of acclimation before they resumed feeding but, apparently I'm better than I thought :D lol

They didn't eat both shrimp totally, I guess the belly was full, so I left the last few pieces overnight at the entrance to their caves. Not total headlines, but I'm happy about it

Panthers lost, Morays won. Now Peyton and I can BOTH retire :p

SIDENOTE: For those experiencing feeding issues, I had the overhead light on - a ceiling fixture, as the tank itself has no light - and no feeding response was generated, then seconds after I shut the light off they went right for it.....I even had them "chasing" the food after they got a taste for it.

I would give thanks to whomever suggested that, but I can't find the post so I don't remember who said low-light is good for feeding. Sorry whomever you are.

Last edited:

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
That's a pretty good deal for 2 of them. I had one back a few yrs. Started life out in freshwater @ 6" and once it was around 12" I slowly transitioned it to brackish 1.012. Once it was fully in brackish it's grown was a lot faster and ate very hearty. Sold it to a friend around 20" just so I could get a snowflake moray eel and go full salt. Awesome creatures for sure. Maybe one of these days I'll get another one.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
That's a pretty good deal for 2 of them. I had one back a few yrs. Started life out in freshwater @ 6" and once it was around 12" I slowly transitioned it to brackish 1.012. Once it was fully in brackish it's grown was a lot faster and ate very hearty. Sold it to a friend around 20" just so I could get a snowflake moray eel and go full salt. Awesome creatures for sure. Maybe one of these days I'll get another one.
oh dear.....I just got mine from a FW set-up on Friday (I think) and they are still only in FW, but they are both like 14"-16"....should I be graduating them to brackish soon or let them acclimate for a few weeks......or months 1st?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store