Can you use Epsom Salts and Aquarium salt together

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Can you use Epsom Salts and Aquarium salt together? I have a loach that has ick and popeye and would like to use both. I assume its safe but figured i would make sure! thanks!

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
go with one or the other. salt not going to cure popeye, using another med?

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
how come you would not use both at the same time. Not that I ever considered it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, you can use both at the same time. But in this instance not too sure why you would? Magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) is not going to help with ich, or pop eye. Personally I would stick with salt, and plenty of clean water. If the pop eye starts to look like it's turning into a bacterial infection, treat with antibiotics after the ich is cleared up.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Thanks for the feedback. I read that you can use epsom salts for popeye it helps draw the fluid out of the eyes, thats why i was using it. My loach got popeye before the Ick was noticeable, I assumed the ick was/is whats casing the pop eye.. I used the Epsom salts for 2 days and the popeye has gotten much better but still there. Now that the ick is there im treating with salt and heat. To get it under wrap quicker ive added some seachem paraguard 1/2 dose and for two reasons ive added triple sulfa. 1) To help buffer the harshness of the paraguard 2) To help treat any bacterial diseases that might be causing the popeye. I know sulfa's arent the best for popeye but i know its safe to use with the paraguard.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Salt, heat, magnesium sulfate, paraguard, and triple sulfa - to treat a simple case of pop eye, and ich? Not the way that I would have approached the problem .....

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Salt, heat, magnesium sulfate, paraguard, and triple sulfa - to treat a simple case of pop eye, and ich? Not the way that I would have approached the problem .....
I will admit im horrible when it comes to treating fish diseases, health issues, etc.. Im newer to the hobby and dont have a lot of experience in this field. Ive read a lot and will continue to learn, I just bought some books to read to understand more!

Can I ask what you would have done for this? Am I okay doing what Im doing and is it too late to change tactics?

Thanks!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Can you provide some background info on this fish, and its tank? The more info the better. Also, is the pop eye in both eyes, or only one eye? Then perhaps myself and others can provide you with the best course of action.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Yeah, so The fish im talking about ( a clown loach) is in QT from a 300 gallon. Its both eyes.

I added a silver dollar to the main tank about a week ago, I had it in QT for a week prior and felt it was fine and put it into my main tank... A few days latter I noticed something on the new silver dollar ( thought it was velvet or a fungus). I watched it and also noticed my loaches started to become less active, not eat, and hide all the time. One night i noticed the one loach was on its side, breathing heaving, and its eyes were popped out. Not having a clue what was going on i put the one loach and the new silver dollar in QT. I freaked out and dosed the main 300 tank with paraguard and Triple Sulfa. ( these meds i had and knew they treated alot of stuff) I also treated the QT with the same meds but added epsom salt as well in the QT. A couple days latter i noticed all my fish in the 300 had ick, and some of the other loaches had minor bulged eyes. The fish in QT also got ick. I then added aquarium salt and turned up the heat in both tanks.

Currently Im done with the treatment of triple sulfa, stopped using the epsom salts, and im only treating with paraguard and salt/heat. The silver dollar in the QT appears fine now, the loach in the QT still has some ich and its eyes are much better though still bulged out a little, and its not eating.

Currently in the 300 the ich is getting better. The loaches still look rough and arent eating and hiding all day. The other fish in the tank are all eating and appear fine other than a little ick..

Water P's: 0/0/30, PH 8, temp: 84
I have been doing 20% WC everyday.

Thanks for you help!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store