ge2 silicone

bicboihulk

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2016
okay so i used ge2 silicone on some veneer stones and made caves for my oscar tank. i added them in after curing for a day last night. this morning both my oscars were lethargic and at the bottom of the tank only moving when my hand got too close. none of them were eating. i didn't know ge2 wasn't safe. i did a 40% water change and removed the caves. what else can i do? please help!

bicboihulk

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2016
okay i did another wc and to try to dilute the water for now. i don't want to over do anymore wc than i already have. one of my bigger oscars seemed to be swimming more. no changes on the smaller oscar.i will keep this thread updated.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I think it requires a period of curing before it's considered fish safe, I've other for GE1 in the past but many on MFKs have used it

bicboihulk

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2016
it said ready in 30 mins and i gave it a day. i don't know, i'm not going to risk it again. i just hope my fish will be better tomorrow.

bicboihulk

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2016
update - i've been closely monitoring my tank every few hours. both my oscars are no longer at the bottom corner but at the top corner of the tank now by the heater. is this better? they're no longer laying on their sides but still not moving much.

bicboihulk

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2016
another update - well the black tiger oscar died last night, which sucks. the lutino is doing a lot better but now i have a huge bacteria bloom so i'm going to leave my tank as is for a bit.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
While I can't confirm this, but rumor is that unlike GE1, GE2 contains mold inhibitors.

With that said, I strongly believe that your major error was the short curing time. Even during warm weather, I would let silicone cure for at least a week before use in aquarium purposes.

You appear to have reservation about 'too much' water changes, but in this case, of what appears to be a toxicity issue, I would be doing about 50%+ w/c daily for an entire week

bicboihulk

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2016
wouldn't a wc now remove a lot of the bacteria since i have a bacteria bloom? water was getting cloudy last night and this morning was the cloudiest i've seen in a while

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
wouldn't a wc now remove a lot of the bacteria since i have a bacteria bloom? water was getting cloudy last night and this morning was the cloudiest i've seen in a while
Water changes do not remove beneficial bacteria. The effective bb in your tank are the ones that are adhering to things like bio-media, glass substrate, and ornaments....not so much free floating in the water column. My w/c regiment is 50% every 3 days, many members here do 75%-80% weekly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store