ge2 silicone

Glossolepis incisus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2016
Hey so I just joined after lurking for a year due to this topic. I've done tons of research on this topic before I did my first reseal. Since then I've resealed a dozen tanks and built a few as well, Ive always used ge #1 as it is fish safe!!!. Ge 2 isnt, I know some have used it safely. However I wonder if this was during to and extremely long cure time or possibly using a very small amount. I've called and talked to a representative from ge, according to them there is no actual anti mold/mildew additive.But a different curing agent, and the package shows this if you take the time to read the ingredients. I feel if you did you would never use ge#2. Ge#1 uses acetic acid(vinegar) as the curing agent.Ge#2 on the other hand uses ammonia as the curing agent. The ammonia never fully dissipates and in the first few days is outgased in massive amounts. The ammonia is the anti mold/mildew agent. Ever used Ammonia to clean? I do belive that success could be had if you had a massive pre cycled filtration system, or let it cure forever maybe. But that's dumb just use ge#1. Sorry for massive post.

alecrromine

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2015
Kentucky
When I sealed my first tank I did a lot of research (most of the specifics that I learned have been forgotten by now). I'll start by saying I use GE2 windows & doors, and have for several tanks with no issues. If I remember correctly, there was not a big difference between ge1 & ge2, at least as far as we're concerned. The mold inhibitors are in the bath & tile or the bath & kitchen tile. The main lesson I learned was to let it cure fully. I usually give it between 2-5 days depending on what it was that I was sealing, and how thick the silicone beads are. I had the dreaded stream of water running down the side of a 55 gal a few years back and was not prepared for it so it was only about 24 hours from the time the fish came out of that tank until they went back in. They are all still fine today. I think the big thing is that the silicone releases ammonia as it cures, so as long as plenty of time is given to the silicone to cure you should be fine. There are some things that can help the silicone cure more quickly:heat and air movement. Not a heat gun or something like that, think ambient temperature. Pur a space heater near it and keep the temp around 85 and put a fan on it. You'll be able to smell the ammonia as it cures. Long story: I have used ge2 WINDOWS AND DOORS without any problems. I let it cure fully, and it works for me.

Bluethousandand2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2016
another update - well the black tiger oscar died last night, which sucks. the lutino is doing a lot better but now i have a huge bacteria bloom so i'm going to leave my tank as is for a bit.
I can't speak for sure, but what I do know is that type 2 has stuff that keeps mold, mildew, etc off, which if ingested by the fish is gonna mess with them, and also that stuff will probably seriously harm if not kill your biological filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store