How long will bacteria live in a unplugged Canister filter?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Yes, it is very simple. My method was to just make use with what you have. So, if your method is to remove media from one container just to put it into another container then its your choice.......simple

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Wow this is turning into rocket science. What xracer is saying (i think) and its what i would do too. Since the can (2262) is basically a bucket. Just put the airstone in the bucket with the medai and some tank water. If you have foam pads just remove them.

Reactions: xraycer

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Mods - please close this thread....
Not sure why. This has been a productive thread, with good advice and just some minor misunderstanding. But all in the best spirit of helpfulness.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
To answer your original question: search this forum. I remember a discussion some years back. Here is how I remember it:

The life of bb depends on how dirty your filter is. A fellow member reported his canister turning into a stinky mass within hours of an outage. Others had filters survive a day, but only if they had been recently cleaned.
Makes sense?

spas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2011
Mississauga, ON, Canada
Thanks - this makes sense...given the amount of detritus that builds up in the efimech and poret that is why I thought it would be a good idea to keep the biomedia in a bucket with clean tank water. I will let you know how it goes....

I am changing out my 3d background on my 265 and need to re-plumb the two 2262's so they need to stay in place while I redo the tank.... should be fun pulling out all the fish (approx 50) large predator haps :)

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Cool, what's the plan with your background?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
just an FYI your BB does not need a heater. if fact prob be better with out it. its slows them down,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store