How long will bacteria live in a unplugged Canister filter?

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Agreed that you're way overthinking this: Just empty the bio media into a bucket of clean tank water and put an airstone on it until you're ready to set-up again. Honestly, the airstone's probably not necessary either.

What you don't want to happen is for a nasty canister full of sludge to go anaerobic (because there's no oxygenated water running through it).

Matt

spas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2011
Mississauga, ON, Canada
I completed the tank tear down \ rebuild over the weekend and the filters are working great. The bacteria looks like it survived a week in a couple of buckets with airstones.

Here is the upgraded Aqua Dcor background:

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I love it!!! great job!!1

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I know that the op is already finished but just a helpful extra:

If you have to leave the media out for an extended period of time then you can do exactly as suggested with the 5 gal bucket and air stone, and then add a few drops of pure ammonia from the hardware store every few days. This can keep the BB alive for months, probably indefinitely, if needed. Just a thought.

I will say, I am surprised the BB survived for a week with no food source. That is good to know.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
once established they are very durable, long as they have oxygen, given that bacteria can live very very long time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store