Free Koi?

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Hi all :)
So my dad has had a koi pond in his back yard for years. Over the years just about every spring they'd spawn and a few of the spawn would make it to maturity. Now there are several generations of koi in there to the point of just too many fish. We want to get rid of a lot fish. They are all 12"+ dark colored pond quality fish, any suggestions on who might be able to take them?? Thanks guys.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Craigslist lol
Yeah definitely will probably try this, but I really think it's going to be a lot of fish to get rid of. Hate to say it, but the idea of lawn fertilizer has already been thrown out :/

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
That's a good idea, I'll have to find a koi forum, thanks :)
I tried in the past to unload them with a local koi club but their nose was so far up in the air about them not being show quality that I ended up giving them away on Craigslist. Some stores will take small quantities only. Do you know anyone that need big feeders?:)

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I tried in the past to unload them with a local koi club but their nose was so far up in the air about them not being show quality that I ended up giving them away on Craigslist. Some stores will take small quantities only. Do you know anyone that need big feeders?:)
hmm.. That's what I'd be afraid of. Did you have a lot of luck on CL? Some I think could be interesting wet pets in a large aquarium, some scaleless, german scaled, long finned, all black, etc. to a koi lover anyway.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Lets see some photos of the pond Rock!

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I would've took them for my father he has two koi ponds but I'm from Chicago
Ya know I just had a thought. I've always wanted to put substrate on the bottom, maybe if we could actually see some of these fish, they'd be more appealing and we wouldn't have to boot soo many. Naw, we really need to reduce the bio load :/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store