How to start a fish breeding buisness

warhawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Indiana
If you like keeping fish, a good way to stop liking them is to put a price on them and make it a job. From experience...

I agree once you start looking at them as money the fun drops away pretty fast.

Best advice I have heard about breeding for profit is find a fish you enjoy keeping and keeping, after that if you can find a buying great if not keep looking until you find a market.

Reactions: butchie

butchie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
orlando
So many easier ways to make money. Fish is the hardest way I've tried. I've seen some people do ok that are species specific for high dollar fish such as discus. You can do ok fragging coral but it is pretty competitive. Your lfs owner is typically doing ok but not getting rich. Idk why people think wholesalers do well, that is a brutal business. Need huge capital outlays with razor thin margins with inventory that's prone to die. While saying all that you could always make a few bucks selling fry from expensive fish but it does cost some cash to grow them. Great hobby. ..horrible business

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Yea, it's work. You need lots of fish to breed, you have disease outbreaks, feeding and cleaning gets to be a big job, water costs, food/meds/filtration costs, weather and climate have to be controlled. A prolonged power outage can wipe you out.

It's a lot more planning involved than just keeping a few tanks in the house.

Then you'll have to ship and transport rays--they're kinda dangerous.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store