Why do you do this Walmart?

504 Fish Keeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 29, 2016
Yo
Yep,and some of them want what they want when they want it....I remember years ago when I worked at a local shop a woman approached me about buying a clownfish for her daughter.I asked the woman if she already had a saltwater tank set up to which she answered "no" so I attempted to explain to her what keeping saltwater fish entailed.After my consul the woman looked down at her daughter and then asked me to bag up a Nemo(clownfish) in a large bag full of saltwater so she could keep it in her daughter's fishbowl.
Did you tell her it would die & waste her money?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yo
Did you tell her it would die & waste her money?
Well,I didn't go into the money part but I did warn her that the clownfish would not last long in such conditions.She did not seem to care as long as she was able to get her daughter Nemo.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
No they certainly shouldn't.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; At a local wal-mart the other day I was at the service desk. They have a rack of male bettas in the small containers. A couple of large women with two small girls were at the betta rack. One of the girls was doing the "mommy I want one" routine in that shrill little girl voice that preceedes a tantrum if they do not get their way. The mother dragged her away briefly, but she ran back and got one.

Moments later i finished my business at the service desk. As i turned to leave the second little girl had dragged her woman (mother?) back and picked out a betta. I was passing the checkout lanes and overheard the young teller trying to explain that the two male bettas cannot be in the same aquarium. I felt that I could sense a decision point. To buy the two fish and avoid a meltdown from the two kids or not .

I chimed in saying that the bettas would fight to the death if put together. That they would tear each other up. That they are called fighting fish for a reason.

I left before finding out the choice. My guess being that they bought the fish to avoid the tantrums. ((I also got the sense they could have been from one of the impure neighborhoods in the area. Maybe I am wrong??)

The clerk was trying to do the right thing.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
Hello; At a local wal-mart the other day I was at the service desk. They have a rack of male bettas in the small containers. A couple of large women with two small girls were at the betta rack. One of the girls was doing the "mommy I want one" routine in that shrill little girl voice that preceedes a tantrum if they do not get their way. The mother dragged her away briefly, but she ran back and got one.

Moments later i finished my business at the service desk. As i turned to leave the second little girl had dragged her woman (mother?) back and picked out a betta. I was passing the checkout lanes and overheard the young teller trying to explain that the two male bettas cannot be in the same aquarium. I felt that I could sense a decision point. To buy the two fish and avoid a meltdown from the two kids or not .

I chimed in saying that the bettas would fight to the death if put together. That they would tear each other up. That they are called fighting fish for a reason.

I left before finding out the choice. My guess being that they bought the fish to avoid the tantrums. ((I also got the sense they could have been from one of the impure neighborhoods in the area. Maybe I am wrong??)

The clerk was trying to do the right thing.
If they bought both fish, i wonder what they did when the fish started fighting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store