my heros collection -pic heavy-

brandon skelton

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2015
Well, that explains it, then! I was starting to wonder if I'd stunted them somehow. One of the females is only about 4 inches! I hadn't read anything on sp. Inirida max size, so I just assumed they'd get around 8.
Sp.inirida can generally reach 8-10 inches but 8 inches is more than likely

Reactions: FedEXguy

FedEXguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
Arkansas
Where are you getting your information? I haven't been able to find too much. I only recently found out they weren't notatus, which is what they were sold to me as through Wetspot.

brandon skelton

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2015
Usually when the wetspot has sp.inirida in stock they are labled as a Columbian sev due to inirida is a river located in Columbia

FedEXguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
Arkansas
Usually when the wetspot has sp.inirida in stock they are labled as a Columbian sev due to inirida is a river located in Columbia
When I bought them 2.5ish years ago, they were simply labled H. notatus and I had never even heard of sp. Inirida at the time. I'd also never kept any severum so I hadn't truly done any research on them.

Reactions: brandon skelton

brandon skelton

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2015
When I bought them 2.5ish years ago, they were simply labled H. notatus and I had never even heard of sp. Inirida at the time. I'd also never kept any severum so I hadn't truly done any research on them.
You did say yours had 8 bars right? Maybe at the time the wetspot didnt know what they had because of the similarities to notatus

FedEXguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
Arkansas
You did say yours had 8 bars right? Maybe at the time the wetspot didnt know what they ...If you ever get fry im interested ;)
My alphas go through the motions all the time but rarely actually lay eggs. They've only had swimmers once and they ate them. My beta male goes between the two other females basically constantly as they fight over his love. But as soon as one lays eggs and he moves on to the other girl, the first one eats the eggs and prepares herself for when he comes back. It's a regular soap opera in my tank.

FedEXguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
Arkansas
You know what? I'm just confused overall. I'm far from an expert, so bear with me, but I've been trying to research some more because I've had doubts about my fish. I bought notatus, thought I had notatus for a few years. They color up, I show some people. They tell me I have sp. Inirida. They tell me notatus have black spots and 9 bars and mine have red spots and 8 bars. Mine definitely have red spots and I swore that they had 8 bars because I counted the "extra" females' bars while she was in more stressed coloration. I see your pictures and I think, hey, his fish look remarkably like mine and I was told mine aren't notatus. But you say you definitely have notatus. So now I start looking closely at mine again. The beta male doesn't seem to have a stripe on his caudal peduncle but the alpha does. So now I'm seeing 9 bars. The females are all happy and the bars are nearly non-existent. Do I have notatus and I've just been seeing things this whole time? Hybrids? Color-variant? I think I may make a thread with some better side-on pics and see what other people think. Thanks for driving me crazy with your pretty fish!

Reactions: brandon skelton

brandon skelton

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2015
You know what? I'm just confused overall. I'm far from an expert, so bear with me, but I've been trying to research some more because I've had doubts about my fish. I bought notatus, thought I had notatus for a few years. They color up, I show some people. They tell me I have sp. Inirida. They tell me notatus have black spots and 9 bars and mine have red spots and 8 bars. Mine definitely have red spots and I swore that they had 8 bars because I counted the "extra" females' bars while she was in more stressed coloration. I see your pictures and I think, hey, his fish look remarkably like mine and I was told mine aren't notatus. But you say you definitely have notatus. So now I start looking closely at mine again. The beta male doesn't seem to have a stripe on his caudal peduncle but the alpha does. So now I'm seeing 9 bars. The females are all happy and the bars are nearly non-existent. Do I have notatus and I've just been seeing things this whole time? Hybrids? Color-variant? I think I may make a thread with some better side-on pics and see what other people think. Thanks for driving me crazy with your pretty fish!
If your for sure seeing 9 bars it's possible you have a color variation of notatus

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store