my heros collection -pic heavy-

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
You know what? I'm just confused overall. I'm far from an expert, so bear with me, but I've been trying to research some more because I've had doubts about my fish. I bought notatus, thought I had notatus for a few years. They color up, I show some people. They tell me I have sp. Inirida. They tell me notatus have black spots and 9 bars and mine have red spots and 8 bars. Mine definitely have red spots and I swore that they had 8 bars because I counted the "extra" females' bars while she was in more stressed coloration. I see your pictures and I think, hey, his fish look remarkably like mine and I was told mine aren't notatus. But you say you definitely have notatus. So now I start looking closely at mine again. The beta male doesn't seem to have a stripe on his caudal peduncle but the alpha does. So now I'm seeing 9 bars. The females are all happy and the bars are nearly non-existent. Do I have notatus and I've just been seeing things this whole time? Hybrids? Color-variant? I think I may make a thread with some better side-on pics and see what other people think. Thanks for driving me crazy with your pretty fish!
As we talked about in your other thread, you have notatus. I counted 9 faint bars on the fish. You always count the bar through the eye and the caudal peduncle even if you don't see it. All Heros have those two bars, though they don't always show depending on coloration.

H. sp Inirida and H. sp rotkeil are currently the only two species I know of with just 8 bars. Also, the Inirida tend to lack the black splotches along the sides that your male notatus shows. This fish is found in Guyana, French Guiana, and Brazil, so it's not unlikely that patterns and colors will vary among individuals like they do in any other population of species. If you look at the pictures on Cichlid Room Companion, the notatus from Igarape Quimeba in the upper Rio Negro in Brazil are more maroon spotted than black spotted, for instance.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store