Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
He's had a fight with a staffy so he's stitched up at the minute feeling sorry for himself :(
Yes mate we have wels in the UK I'm yet to fish for them I'm always on a carp hunt , there's a lake a few miles away with 40lb cats in bit it's huge so bites are few and far between so 24hr fishing at least fishing on there.
there is however loads of stocked lakes within an hours drive from me with bigger cats in 60lb so I'm thinking a weekend away soon to do some wels and big carp hunting ;)
What type of heavy tackle do you have? I know Carp get big, but I see guys using ocean tackle for Flatheads lol Heavy braid and some live baitfish in the 4-12" range will suit wells for Wels I'm sure. These big Cats are predators, don't ever let anyone convince you they are scavengers.....they will but I get more Cats of ANY species on live baitfish than Chicken liver or dips or pastes or cut bait. I don't see the Wels being much more different than our Flatheads and Channels.

We have guys here in the States that use 2-3lb.s Carp as bait for Flatheads and there are some states in the South that use live Trout as a preferred bait for Muskellunge and Striped Bass

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I've got 15lb mine line on two of my reels and 13lb on the other , sometimes use a braided leader but it's only to cut through the weeds and snags without snapping off from carp runs , sea fishing stuff is way to obvious to uk carp there used to being caught so you've got to be very stealth with your rigs and hook lengths or they'll see it a mile off and leave it we'll alone.
As for live bait nit many if any fisheries will let you use live bait or even dead in some cases so it's pretty much bigger halibut pellets on a long hair rig line to catch the cats (but they are used to them and do feed on them)
the pond next to my house is a big more wild and unmanned so live baiting for pike is fun in there they just leave lures and spinners well alone so it has to be a live bait free lining

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
DAMN DUDE!!! All you needed was a Musky or a Pike and you would have hit a Grand Slam!! Tell me, what type of set-up do you use for Musky/Pike? Are they Downriggers for trolling or what?

I know man, I trolled for Pike with a four rod spread for an hour yesterday and just had to keep picking off weeds every 2 minutes! I swear Esox have a grudge against me, so difficult to catch!

The rods that are rated for Musky are 7'6" MH power fast action St. Croix Triumph Musky series with Okuma Convector CV-45D reels spooled with 10 colors (300') of leadcore and a 50' leader of 20# fluoro. I actually bought them for Lake Trout and Steelhead trolling with inline planer boards (hence the heavy power and leadcore line), but they're also great for flatlining in shallow areas because I can control how much lead I let out so I can even speed-troll big bucktails as far down as 50' trolling over 3 mph if I wanted to. Normally I flatline in 4-60 FOW and use boards in 60-200 FOW.

Reactions: Frank Castle

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
View attachment 1185772 View attachment 1185773 View attachment 1185782 View attachment 1185783 View attachment 1185784 View attachment 1185785 View attachment 1185786 View attachment 1185787

divemaster99 divemaster99 I could easily fit 2 of my hands in their mouths, the one pic I forgot to get was the width of the mouth w/ the tape measure along it
T Thekid T Timpon D davenmandy K krichardson pops pops fatboy8 fatboy8 Evz jardini Evz jardini P predatorkeeper87 xraycer xraycer wednesday13 wednesday13 F fishantics

LOL, btw, this is supposed to be a Smallmouth creek, or at least it was when I was a kid
jesus how deep where the holes you were pulling those out of? that creek is shoe-top deep! I'd LOVE to be able to rail flatties or even channels in a creek like that....no freakin' ones around hold anything more than some yellow bulls...

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
jesus how deep where the holes you were pulling those out of? that creek is shoe-top deep! I'd LOVE to be able to rail flatties or even channels in a creek like that....no freakin' ones around hold anything more than some yellow bulls...
there's a dam we fish at just wasn't in the pix, but it's about 4-6" in most spots. No fish ladder, so the fish come up here and just stay cuz no place else for 'em to go

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
The anadromous shad are showing up to spawn. I recycle them into delicious Dungeness crab. Not enough around yet to fly fish for them, but it's a blast on light gear.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
The anadromous shad are showing up to spawn. I recycle them into delicious Dungeness crab. Not enough around yet to fly fish for them, but it's a blast on light gear.

recycle? I fail to see the correlation between "Shad" and "Dungeon crab" and "recycle" LOL What are you talking about, man?

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
recycle? I fail to see the correlation between "Shad" and "Dungeon crab" and "recycle" LOL What are you talking about, man?
Crab bait. I use shad for crab bait. There is no size restriction or limit on shad (not native) and they make fabulous crab bait. Crabs love them and the seals and sea lions leave them alone (unlike tuna or salmon carcasses).

Sweet, sweet Dungeness crab.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Crab bait. I use shad for crab bait. There is no size restriction or limit on shad (not native) and they make fabulous crab bait. Crabs love them and the seals and sea lions leave them alone (unlike tuna or salmon carcasses).

Sweet, sweet Dungeness crab.
Sweeeeeeet

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
With trout fishing starting to slow down a little and bass fishing picking up I headed over to my local hole for an hour after work yesterday and hooked into 6 bass all around the same size. 2 on the fly and 4 on wacky rig

image.jpeg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store