Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
got a Flathead this morning pushing 40lbs.......42.5"L, 27" G, 39lbs......and more to come. Lots of pics and more surprises later
So anyway, just to add to this - I also caught my biggest Channel Cat at this time as well, I went w/ 2 friends, one of which got to the spot at 5:45 am, while we stayed behind catching baitfish and arrived at 7am. The 1st friend had caught 4 Carp between 20-30" in the time before we arrived w/ pix to prove it, and as I hooked on a creek chub and casted, within seconds a large fish immediately pulled my rod off the stand and into the shallows, eventually revealing itself to be a 28"L, 17.7"G Channel Cat weighing 11lbs.

Merely seconds later as I was trying to quickly rig up my 2nd rod another fish did the same thing which was a small Flathead Cat weighing 7.5lbs, 25.5" Long w/ a 15.5" Girth. Still again the fish continued bombarding me resulting in a few missed strikes but finally again hooking into quite a sizeable Flathead..........so sizeable and powerful it broke my reel-seat from the amount of pressure it was putting on it (the cuff that holds the reel-stem to the rod actually CRACKED) and my 1st friend came over and held my at 1:00 to keep pressure on the fish before finding a rocky cave like the other missed fish, while fumbled with the reel like a damn novice trying to inch some line in a little at a time while it's not even attached to the damn rod.

A little teamwork and my buddy was able to grab the fish's bottom jaw which weighed in at 23lbs, measured 36" Long and had a 22" Girth. A fishless hour or so went by and my 1st friend was talking about leaving and a few minutes later the rods went off again, returning the favor, I reeled in his other rod so he didn't get the 2 lines tangled and he drug the fish into the shallows, weighing 17lbs, at 32" Long w/ a 20.5" Girth.

My 42.5" Incher was next. Not much of a story to tell, it was just a brutal monster, yet foolish as I am, I had my 2 heaviest rods out, and I decided to take the vacant one that had received reel-seat damage earlier and try a nightcrawler for random Bass or other gamefish and when I got sick of Panfish nibbling my worm and avoiding my size #1 baitholder hook, I switched it up by rigging the live worm weedless (just like a plastic worm) then placing a small 3-4" creek chub onto the exposed barb. Minutes later the broken rod has another monster fish and I was shocked.....I guess the worm's scent attracted the fish and he decided he liked the worm/baitfish combo so here we go, right?

It was lunacy. As I had ironically "called" the lengths and weights of our previous fish rather accurately before measurements, I said "Dude, this is my biggest ever - this is over 40" and probably 40lbs" ......well, I was close. Both friends took various pictures and will be E-mailing them today so I can post up, but let me just say, this fishing trip was absolutely action-packed and electrifying.....after all this bullshit w/ going back and forth to the Vet and finding out all this bad news about my and a lousy fishless heartbreaking few weeks, it was very much what I needed......what we ALL needed.

My other friend who had never fished like this for these fish in this spot had a helluva show and a lot of excitement, but unfortunately nothing jumped on his line all day. Still , a happy ending seemed inevitable and I said "Bro, regardless if the next fish is on my rods or yours, the fish is yours, so be ready if I yell for you."

Maybe a whole 5 minutes later I was yelling for him as another Flathead took off w/ my chub, so I quickly set the hook to make sure he held tight while my friend waded over and took over from there. His 1st Flathead in a several years, 26" Long, 14.5" Girth and weighed 7lbs.

I lost 2 strikes and one fish we never saw broke my 20lb. monofilament......ironically when my 1st friend was here last week alone, he had a fish break his 50lb. braided nylon. He said the braid was several years old and may have been only down to 30-40lb strength at this point, but still.....any catfish that can break 20lb test is a MONSTER FISH in my book. Could we have both got duped by the same beast?

True story. Pics by the end of the day hopefully. Oh yea, also got sunburn reaaaaallllyyyyyy bad :( Happy Memorial Day everyone.

Last edited:

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
20160529_101007.jpg 20160529_074821_resized.jpg 20160529_072726_resized.jpg 20160529_074816_resized.jpg 20160529_074821_resized.jpg 20160529_074905_resized.jpg 20160529_100749_resized.jpg 20160529_100829.jpg

divemaster99 divemaster99 I could easily fit 2 of my hands in their mouths, the one pic I forgot to get was the width of the mouth w/ the tape measure along it
T Thekid T Timpon D davenmandy K krichardson pops pops fatboy8 fatboy8 Evz jardini Evz jardini P predatorkeeper87 xraycer xraycer wednesday13 wednesday13 F fishantics

LOL, btw, this is supposed to be a Smallmouth creek, or at least it was when I was a kid

Last edited:

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Sounds like you've had an awesome days fishing frank with decent results too , that cat is a lump lol
I've missed out on fishing this weekend due to a dog emergency but I'll be out next week on the usual carp hunt ;)

Reactions: Frank Castle

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
View attachment 1185772 View attachment 1185773 View attachment 1185782 View attachment 1185783 View attachment 1185784 View attachment 1185785 View attachment 1185786 View attachment 1185787

divemaster99 divemaster99 I could easily fit 2 of my hands in their mouths, the one pic I forgot to get was the width of the mouth w/ the tape measure along it
T Thekid T Timpon D davenmandy K krichardson pops pops fatboy8 fatboy8 Evz jardini Evz jardini P predatorkeeper87 xraycer xraycer wednesday13 wednesday13 F fishantics

LOL, btw, this is supposed to be a Smallmouth creek, or at least it was when I was a kid
What beasts! Those are some monster cats man, watch they don't drag you under when you're wading out there :).

Reactions: Frank Castle

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Great long weekend up on Erie. Saturday fished 70-140 FOW and caught a 30" 14# Laker plus a monster 31" 15# Walleye that fed 10 people last night! First walleye I've ever caught that's taken line out! Transient docked at a closer Marina to the Lake Trout spot for the night and caught a 14" Brown Bullhead and 15" Smallmouth Bass in addition to a nice pair of Pumpkinseeds from the docks there. Sunday fished 120-130 FOW for a couple hours in the early morning and went 3 for 4 on Lakers, all 28-30" amd 11-12# which about wraps up the spring Lake Trout season, have to wait until October for them now:(. On the bright side, summer offshore Steelhead will be heating up in a couple weeks here :D! Also fished some sandy flats in 6-35 FOW on Sunday in search of early season Drum. Too early yet for big numbers but caught a 19" 4# and a FAT 25" 11#r that tore line off of a Musky rated setup. Finally, wrapped up the weekend fishing the docks in my Marina. Caught a few Sunfish and smaller Yellow Perch but more importantly a leviathan of a 28" 19# Carp that fought for 20 minutes easily, kept ripping line off of my 6'8" medium power spinning rod going under the docks toward other boats! Eventually, netted it and that fish made my day being a new PB for Carp. Pretty good weekend overall.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Sounds like you've had an awesome days fishing frank with decent results too , that cat is a lump lol
I've missed out on fishing this weekend due to a dog emergency but I'll be out next week on the usual carp hunt ;)
that's not what I wanted to hear after all this Vet nonsense w/ my dogs, I hope everything is okay w/ the little curtain :) You guys don't have Wels in the British Isles, do you? Have you ever fished for them ? They make these Flatheads look like minnows
What beasts! Those are some monster cats man, watch they don't drag you under when you're wading out there :).
That's ironic, cuz I had to wade out up to my chest after my 1st fish (that I lost) ended up snagging me in a rockpile and I forgot to take stuff out of my pockets - keys, cigarettes, lighter, wallet.....fortunately my friend met me 1/2-way and grabbed them so I could untangle. On a 90F day, it was a relief like no other.....and tbh, I have caught Flatheads that feel like i'm going in....or at least gonna have a pulled bicep or lose my footing and fall on my face; at least half our fish pulled the rods off the spikes and into the shallows yesterday before we could get to them.
Great long weekend up on Erie. Saturday fished 70-140 FOW and caught a 30" 14# Laker plus a monster 31" 15# Walleye that fed 10 people last night! First walleye I've ever caught that's taken line out! Transient docked at a closer Marina to the Lake Trout spot for the night and caught a 14" Brown Bullhead and 15" Smallmouth Bass in addition to a nice pair of Pumpkinseeds from the docks there. Sunday fished 120-130 FOW for a couple hours in the early morning and went 3 for 4 on Lakers, all 28-30" amd 11-12# which about wraps up the spring Lake Trout season, have to wait until October for them now:(. On the bright side, summer offshore Steelhead will be heating up in a couple weeks here :D! Also fished some sandy flats in 6-35 FOW on Sunday in search of early season Drum. Too early yet for big numbers but caught a 19" 4# and a FAT 25" 11#r that tore line off of a Musky rated setup. Finally, wrapped up the weekend fishing the docks in my Marina. Caught a few Sunfish and smaller Yellow Perch but more importantly a leviathan of a 28" 19# Carp that fought for 20 minutes easily, kept ripping line off of my 6'8" medium power spinning rod going under the docks toward other boats! Eventually, netted it and that fish made my day being a new PB for Carp. Pretty good weekend overall.

View attachment 1185801

View attachment 1185802

View attachment 1185803

View attachment 1185804

View attachment 1185805

View attachment 1185806

View attachment 1185807
DAMN DUDE!!! All you needed was a Musky or a Pike and you would have hit a Grand Slam!! Tell me, what type of set-up do you use for Musky/Pike? Are they Downriggers for trolling or what?

EDIT: You said you really wanted to see pix of our Flatheads out here, now I hope you know why I called the ones in that older post of mine "Babies" :D That last pic is the 42.5", 39+lb'er....I'm 6 foot just FYI lol You can tell which one is the 36" and which is the 42.5" and which is the Channel, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Evz jardini

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
that's not what I wanted to hear after all this Vet nonsense w/ my dogs, I hope everything is okay w/ the little curtain :) You guys don't have Wels in the British Isles, do you? Have you ever fished for them ? They make these Flatheads look like minnows

He's had a fight with a staffy so he's stitched up at the minute feeling very sorry for himself :(
Yes mate we have wels in the UK I'm yet to fish for them I'm always on a carp hunt , there's a lake a few miles away with 40lb cats in but it's huge so bites are few and far between so 24hr at least fishing on there.
There is however loads of stocked lakes within the hours drive from me with bigger cats like 60lb so I'm thinking a weekend away soon to do some wels and big carp hunting ;)

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Hahahaha sorry frank it's early in morn here I've somehow typed my reply in your quote box from previous comment lol

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
He's had a fight with a staffy so he's stitched up at the minute feeling sorry for himself :(
Yes mate we have wels in the UK I'm yet to fish for them I'm always on a carp hunt , there's a lake a few miles away with 40lb cats in bit it's huge so bites are few and far between so 24hr fishing at least fishing on there.
there is however loads of stocked lakes within an hours drive from me with bigger cats in 60lb so I'm thinking a weekend away soon to do some wels and big carp hunting ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store