BUSTED!!! (From the NY Daily News)

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
He knew he was breaking the law and run the risk of getting busted but from everything I've read he has a point about the ban since any Asian arrowanas that wind up in the hobby are being bred by the thousands on Asian fish farms and nobody's actually trying to catch the less attractive endangered wild specimens.
Agreed, and according to "The Dragon Behind The Glass", they actually couldn't find any Super Red...or any wild caught Asian Aro. What's more, reading the book leads me to believe they really should have not been on the endangered list to begin with. I'd say being on there backed fire. There aren't enough who care enough with time and money to fight it like the reefers who challenged the certain corals from almost being on the endangered species list.

And no, I have no Asian Aro...LOL.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Sad that he'll probably get more time than a low life crack dealer

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
Agreed, and according to "The Dragon Behind The Glass", they actually couldn't find any Super Red...or any wild caught Asian Aro. What's more, reading the book leads me to believe they really should have not been on the endangered list to begin with. I'd say being on there backed fire. There aren't enough who care enough with time and money to fight it like the reefers who challenged the certain corals from almost being on the endangered species list.

And no, I have no Asian Aro...LOL.
I'm still trying to figure out what threat some of the dwarf snakehead species I enjoyed keeping so much posed but I suppose for policy makers it's simpler to ban them all than do a little research. Oh well!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It makes it easier to pass and harder to bypass. Even dwarf snakeheads would cause an issue lower down. Dont even feel bad having aros and snakehead banned, check what i have to deal with:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/south-african-fish-blacklist.671592/
Well Hendre that's what you get for living in an area that has such a fish friendly climate.I would love to live somewhere like that.Having a bit of a grasp of ecology I would just focus on and enjoy the fish that are available.
You guys must be the only other country besides the U.S. that forbids the keeping of Asian arowana.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
A lot of fish would not be able to survive my area. South africas climate is super varied like we have tropic to lower temperate here

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Millions of fish are killed daily for food...
.....and most of those are either farmed or fish that sustain themselves as a species in the wild.I'm sure quite a few people have eaten Asian arowana as well but I doubt if it's in the millions.

Reactions: CarpCharacin

Chillz23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2016
.....and most of those are either farmed or fish that sustain themselves as a species in the wild.I'm sure quite a few people have eaten Asian arowana as well but I doubt if it's in the millions.
Oh so they are prisoners then killed. I see your point, that is much better...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store