Favorite sunfish for aquarium

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
You can only keep Gamefish of LEGAL SIZE for any purpose. Recently PAFBC made it legal to use gamefish as bait BUT they must be obtained legally, which of course means legal size and creel limits apply.

FYI, just so you don't get in trouble, re-read the book that they hand out when u buy a fishing license, "2016 Pennsylvania Fishing Summary". It is free and it is MANDATORY that the clerk hands it out w/ the purchase of a license, if not they can be fined for it. I'm always giving that idiots at our local Wal-Mart a hard time about it because they NEVER pass them out and there's a lot of important things people need to know in it and hopefully it will help our already-dwindling fish populations if people have it easily available for reference.

Oh, anyway sorry about the derail OP, i just wanted to make sure my buddy didn't get fined for mis-interpreting the rules.....it's not always easy to understand them as they are written a little confusing sometimes.

Anywho, i was never a huge fan of Greens, i generally target them when i need bait because they are so aggressive and prolific breeders and compete w/ Bass and gamefish for food and territory, usually winning. Rock Bass as well, but they DO look really cool in a tank.

I think i like Pumpkinseeds, also the Redbreast, and i bet a Redear/Shellcracker would make an awesome pet
wrong. game fish of ANY size may be kept as bait. I was confused by the wording but i confirmed it with a DCNR guy here. They may have changed the law in the last year but I haven't read up this year ab out it.

Last edited:

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
wrong. game fish of ANY size may be kept as bait. I was confused by the wording but i confirmed it with a DCNR guy here. They may have changed the law in the last year but I haven't read up this year ab out it.
that DCNR is about to be fired. My mentor has worked for PAFBC for 40 years...........you can choose who you want to take advice from, Brother, my main concern is keeping you out of trouble. The same mentor who told me tapeworms are as highly contagious as they truly are.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
that DCNR is about to be fired. My mentor has worked for PAFBC for 40 years...........you can choose who you want to take advice from, Brother, my main concern is keeping you out of trouble. The same mentor who told me tapeworms are as highly contagious as they truly are.
fair enough. He's been the CO in this area for years haha.

The instruction I have states any gamefish can be taken as bait. size limits aren't mentioned but creel limits are. I appreciate the look out though because it very well could be they have re-worded the law to cover the size limit as well.

PogueMahone

Feeder Fish
Aug 28, 2015
I've kept Bluegill, Northern Longear, Warmouth and Greenies. I thought the Warmouth looked the best but greenies seem to have the most attitude.

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
Green sunfish but I would love to keep a spotted bass.
Zimmermansfish.com has redeye bass (Micropterus coosae) for sale. They are not spotted bass, but a smaller species of bass more suitable for aquarium life. They look very similar to SMB IMO. I just picked up (3) of these little guys yesterday: cute little guys with white edging to all of their fins except the spiny dorsal and pectoral fins. They were eating bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and raw shrimp their first night in the tank.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Zimmermansfish.com has redeye bass (Micropterus coosae) for sale. They are not spotted bass, but a smaller species of bass more suitable for aquarium life. They look very similar to SMB IMO. I just picked up (3) of these little guys yesterday: cute little guys with white edging to all of their fins except the spiny dorsal and pectoral fins. They were eating bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and raw shrimp their first night in the tank.
Coosae are great, had mine now for 2 years and he's barely 7 inches long lol.

be careful though, I can attest to coosae getting a very bad mean streak so expect some torn fins

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Any pics of your coosa?

What fish does he go after? I don't care for torn fins...
well I only purchased 1 so I don't know about conspecific aggression, but he absolutely destroyed the juvie pumpkinseeds he was in with, killed 5 of the 8. Now in the 310 gallon with 3 male p-seeds hes starting to tear tails up. He even goes after the slab crappie in there and they are easily double his size.

as for pics haha I'm horrible at remembering, I owe the piranha forum pics as well as at least 4 different native threads I promised lol

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
Well that's not very encouraging. I only plan on keeping one, but it would go in a tank with perch, longears, pumpkinseeds, and a yellow bass.

I may have to dedicate my 75 gallon to just one coosa.

Thanks for the heads up.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Well that's not very encouraging. I only plan on keeping one, but it would go in a tank with perch, longears, pumpkinseeds, and a yellow bass.

I may have to dedicate my 75 gallon to just one coosa.

Thanks for the heads up.
I may just have a psycho fish too so you know take it with a grain of salt, you may have big ol' wusses for bass haha. When mine lived with my perch the perch I think intimidated him since they were always moving and zipping around the tank, now that they are gone hes staking turf lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store