Favorite sunfish for aquarium

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
As far as personality bluegills are my favorite but for color my favorite is orange spotted x green sunfish it should be noted 1 of the biggest bluegill my friend owns was about 2 1/4 pounds when I last saw it

Reactions: godog427

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Im not sure exactly what species mine are but they have been fun to keep. They're almost taking worms from my hand.

View attachment 1425728
Looks like a nice male bluegill. I got one too atm with my female Flowerhorn and I'm surprised at how well they get along with eachother. They sure can be greedy tho when it comes to food lol.

What a beautiful fish.
Btw this is a pumpkinseed sunfish and yes they are beautiful lol. They sadly tend to lose almost all their color as they get older tho. I personally have some pumpkinseed x green sunfish hybrids that I'm raising up to breed atm. They keep the nice colors of the pumpkinseed while getting the blue beard and enlarged mouth from the green sunfish. They also seem to keep their colors allot longer then a pure pumpkinseed will. This is one of em I got atm, the second pic just shows how they look once they get larger.

cameringo_20200611_210618.jpg

cameringo_20200522_195158.jpg

Reactions: godog427

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
i really like spotted sunfish, i have one in my native tank View attachment 1439346
Honestly they should make sunfish species more common in the pet trade. I mean they are almost exactly like a cold water cichlid specie. They even kind of look like some cichlids like veija and uaru.

Have any pics of yours in his tank? Lol I'd send pics of all of mine in their tank but it would be a pretty boring set of pics with some barely visable fish lol. Mine are in a plastic pond tank to I only get an aerial view.

aaronhas

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Honestly they should make sunfish species more common in the pet trade. I mean they are almost exactly like a cold water cichlid specie. They even kind of look like some cichlids like veija and uaru.

Have any pics of yours in his tank? Lol I'd send pics of all of mine in their tank but it would be a pretty boring set of pics with some barely visable fish lol. Mine are in a plastic pond tank to I only get an aerial view.
not the best picture, she hides most the time now since there's a ton of flow in the tank. my filter sprung a leak so I threw my backup filter on it and its way more flow then they fish are used too. hopefully next time I go to Florida I can get a mail and breed them. Id love to see more sunfish in the pet trade
IMG_3435.jpg

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store