Really?.....five and a half foot girth?

Reactions: Chub_by

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Really?.....five and a half foot girth?
Girth is 2/3 of a fish's total weight....the world record Blue catfish is a mere 57" long but with a girth of 47" weighing 143 lbs. I just read a post last night about a Lingcod measuring about the same in length, but only weighed around 50lbs - just some food for thought. We have world records of Pike and Muskellunge in the 70 inch-range still barely 60lbs or so
To think that people are putting these in garden ponds.. :(
There are species of Sturgeon that do not get early as large as others.....they can range from about 3 feet to over 20 feet and live 150 years. I do agree though, most should not be kept in captivity, they are already struggling in the wild as it is. They take many years to reach sexual maturity to top it off

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Girth is 2/3 of a fish's total weight....the world record Blue catfish is a mere 57" long but with a girth of 47" weighing 143 lbs. I just read a post last night about a Lingcod measuring about the same in length, but only weighed around 50lbs - just some food for thought. We have world records of Pike and Muskellunge in the 70 inch-range still barely 60lbs or so.
Weight is one thing but the girth is the measurement around the fish's body so nearly six feet on a ten foot length seems like quite a stretch for the fish in that photo,unless I'm understanding it wrong?

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
There are species of Sturgeon that do not get early as large as others.....they can range from about 3 feet to over 20 feet and live 150 years. I do agree though, most should not be kept in captivity, they are already struggling in the wild as it is. They take many years to reach sexual maturity to top it off

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon
I know :) Not trying to be boastful but I'd say I'm pretty knowledgeable about sturgeon. Anyway, even sterlets (the smallest commercially available species) will grow to 40" and need a pond way bigger than most people can offer, not to mention how specific pond is built .

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Weight is one thing but the girth is the measurement around the fish's body so nearly six feet on a ten foot length seems like quite a stretch for the fish in that photo,unless I'm understanding it wrong?
you tthink it's crazier than a 57" long fish with a 47" girth?????

The sturgeon's girth is only a bit more than half it's length

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
you tthink it's crazier than a 57" long fish with a 47" girth?????

The sturgeon's girth is only a bit more than half it's length
I certainly don't,I'm just trying to wrap my head around the image of that sturgeon in the photo and it just does not look like it is nearly six feet around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store