Bleaching Filter Socks

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
I always use bleach have with no issue.

Give socks a hose down to remove most debris, Chuck them in a bucket of water with bleach. Leave overnight and then empty out and rinse and leave in clean water to soak overnight again then straight in.

Never worried about using prime or testing for chlorine as is so little residual water can't imagine being any issues, and chlorine dissipates when water is left to stand anyways doesn't it :)

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
I always use bleach have with no issue.

Give socks a hose down to remove most debris, Chuck them in a bucket of water with bleach. Leave overnight and then empty out and rinse and leave in clean water to soak overnight again then straight in.

Never worried about using prime or testing for chlorine as is so little residual water can't imagine being any issues, and chlorine dissipates when water is left to stand anyways doesn't it :)
lol, oh yeah. hence why some people leave bucket of water overnight to let the chlorine dissipate...
any difference in washing in washer vs soaking overnight? im thinking 2 cups of bleach in 5 gallon bucket, stuff as much socks as possible, then fill to the top

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Nope. This came up a while ago in another thread. I looked up the info from several commercial chlorine makers.

Chlorine takes months to fully dissipate from solution if it's allowed to do so naturally. Since the amount of chlorine in solution is very high, you'll want to rinse with clean water and use a dechlorinator to be sure.

http://www.cdc.gov/safewater/chlorination-faq.html

Note the explanation in FAQ 8.

"After those reactions are complete, chlorine in water will slowly escape into the air as a gas." Slowly according to chlorine makers is "months."

Last edited:

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
Nope. This came up a while ago in another thread. I looked up the info from several commercial chlorine makers.

Chlorine takes months to fully dissipate from solution if it's allowed to do so naturally. Since the amount of chlorine in solution is very high, you'll want to rinse with clean water and use a dechlorinator to be sure.

http://www.cdc.gov/safewater/chlorination-faq.html

Note the explanation in FAQ 8.

"After those reactions are complete, chlorine in water will slowly escape into the air as a gas." Slowly according to chlorine makers is "months."
Okay, I think the best & safest option is wash with clean water, air dry overnite, then soak with Prime conditioner. We good? Yeah we good

56470052.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store