Bleaching Filter Socks

jettefrances17

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
clifton nj
I've been washing my filter socks with bleach for about 7 years now and never had an issue. I wash it with bleach till the socks look really white then rinse them 2 or 3 times. I just make sure that they are dry before I use them.

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
Will do ....its a pain right now.....i dont trust pvc overflows for large tanks .....might have to leave the above ground sump until i can custom male an overflow box
yeah, i mean overflow pvc arent exactly bulletproof. god forbid they lose their siphon, n bam all ur sump water on the ground n pump overheats. u ever think of those filter boxes that sit directly on top/over the tank? I think a lot of asian fish stores do that style. literally water pump inside of tank, box with bioballs/biomedia in storage containers directly over the top of tank, n water drips through container n back into tank

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
yeah, i mean overflow pvc arent exactly bulletproof. god forbid they lose their siphon, n bam all ur sump water on the ground n pump overheats. u ever think of those filter boxes that sit directly on top/over the tank? I think a lot of asian fish stores do that style. literally water pump inside of tank, box with bioballs/biomedia in storage containers directly over the top of tank, n water drips through container n back into tank
For a wet/dry?.....cant seeing the tank suporting a submerged sump above lol

This is what mine looks like temporary

VZM.IMG_20160813_211631.jpg

VZM.IMG_20160813_165522.jpg

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
For a wet/dry?.....cant seeing the tank suporting a submerged sump above lol

This is what mine looks like temporary

View attachment 1201239

View attachment 1201240
damn, good looking tank. nice dimensions. i cant remember if it was on FB or on MFK, but a fish keeper had this style of wet/dry sump literally over his tank, n the water would drip through the plastic sump back into the tank. looked ugly as hell, but works. yeah u can always do internal filter, but b losing some footprint. so why arent u drilling? tank looks simple acrylic.

IMG_4688.jpg

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
I use sodium percarbonate, purchase from eBay. Powdered Hydrogen peroxide.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
u no what, i thought the same as well. Past months just been washing socks in washer with no soap/bleach. But the socks keep on clogging after 3 days or so. New socks clog after 7 days, so washing them hadnt been rly getting them clean. apprently bleach or H2O2 will dissolve all the $hit/matter. im sure pressure washing with garden hose inside out will work as well, but bleach seems easier. i mean tons of keepers been doing this to their socks for years now
I had noticed similar results. When I have washed them without bleach they seemed to clog a day or two quicker than when washed with bleach.

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
I use sodium percarbonate, purchase from eBay. Powdered Hydrogen peroxide.
yeah still on the fence of bleach or H2O2, anyone noticed at significant difference? I might try soaking them instead of using the washer...dont want my mom knowing ive been cleaning the filter socks in the washer lol.

1. okay so i trhough them in the washer
2. bleach filled to the max line, "whitest whites" option
3. wash once more with no soap/bleach
4. air dry
5. then soak in 5 gallon bucket with 1 capfull of prime

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store