Power was out, problems now.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; because of power outages over the years I have moved to very light stocking. Moved from crowding a tank close to carrying capacity with filters and bubblers working to stocking that has allowed days of no power with no problems.

It is a choice which brings some peace of mind during the occasional power loss but limits the spectacle of a tank nicely filled with fish. Still can have fish but not so many.

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
Hello; because of power outages over the years I have moved to very light stocking. Moved from crowding a tank close to carrying capacity with filters and bubblers working to stocking that has allowed days of no power with no problems.

It is a choice which brings some peace of mind during the occasional power loss but limits the spectacle of a tank nicely filled with fish. Still can have fish but not so many.
I'm not advocating for overstocking, but, a battery backup would probably have saved me. The thought crossed my mind occasionally. It was just a major misfortune that the power happened to go out while I was out of town. When it rains it pours I guess. The good news is my Midas was totally unaffected since he's alone in a 75 as well as my Flowerhorn.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I'm not advocating for overstocking, but, a battery backup would probably have saved me. The thought crossed my mind occasionally. It was just a major misfortune that the power happened to go out while I was out of town. When it rains it pours I guess. The good news is my Midas was totally unaffected since he's alone in a 75 as well as my Flowerhorn.
Hello; I follow your thinking. I have never tried a battery backup so do not have any practical experience. I guess the battery would last a while if running only an air pump. Might not run power filters, heaters and lights for long. Perhaps a separate air pump that is plumed into an air line but is not on until the line power is out? I Do not know how to set this up to be automatic when away.

I guess there are at least three sorts of stocking levels. There is what I now do in which I try to keep the level at the point a tank can run for days without any power inputs. There is stocking levels that are fine with the power filters and bubblers running and the tanks may run OK for a few hours during an outage. The stocking levels that are ,in my opinion, too dense are those where even with power filters and such running a tank is on the edge of problems at all times.

I know there are related issues to consider. Overfeeding and tall tanks come to mind.

Anyway, I have had losses over the 50+ years and can understand how you feel. I came home from a three day weekend to find one of my larger tanks had opened a seam and leaked out. Had floor damage as a bonus to the tank loss as the tank was a display in the living room. No more carpet around tanks and I cover the floors in my tank room with commercial vinyl tile. I also have a drain hole into the basement to give the water a way out.

Good luck in the future. Good that some fish made it.

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
Vinyl tile? Now that's an idea. I know the battery backup wouldn't last that long, but who knows maybe an extra 10 hours would have done something. I do plan on taking your route of low stock. I'm returning to planted tanks. I had been getting the itch.... now unfortunately I have the opportunity.

I think I will plant my 75g and only have my one spotted african leaf fish in it. haha

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Vinyl tile? Now that's an idea. I know the battery backup wouldn't last that long, but who knows maybe an extra 10 hours would have done something. I do plan on taking your route of low stock. I'm returning to planted tanks. I had been getting the itch.... now unfortunately I have the opportunity.

I think I will plant my 75g and only have my one spotted african leaf fish in it. haha
hello; Yes I took out the carpet from a room where I have my tanks and a wood burning heater. I put in the thick vinyl squares such as often found in commercial stores. Came in handy the last two days as I am setting up a new tank and had water on the floor. Just wipe it up with a towel.

Good luck with your tanks in the future.

Reactions: Lawlboom
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store