Fresh Water Refugium

Riv D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2008
Kaohsiung
I couldn't get my Nitrates below 40 ( even with feeding less and consistent water changes).
I spoke to a Dr. Tepper (he's a fish Vet at Long Island Fish Hosp.)
http://longislandfishhospital.com/index.html
He usually works with Koi and he told me that the flowering plant "Impaitents"
eats up the most Nitrates.
He's even invented some floating medium for ponds that hold these flowers.
So now I've added some of these plants to my sump in a vented plexy box with a small CF Light and let's see what happens?

Anyone use FW Refugiums?
Any Results?
Please comment.

DSC03074.JPG

DSC03075.JPG

Sic_Maggot13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2008
San Diego
there are better ways to go. get some kinda bio media or specific media for removing nitrates or use reverse ozzmosis water. you must be doing something wrong though

Yoji_嬰孩

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
rock in water
I have this 30gal fuge just sitting around let me know how this works for you and if you see any results... I might give it a shot.

Also I heard adding freshwater clams into your sump will also lessen the nitrates if im not wrong.

IMG_0504.jpg

Riv D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2008
Kaohsiung
Also I heard adding freshwater clams into your sump will also lessen the nitrates if im not wrong.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mess with clams,
If one dies and you don't notice, it's like setting an ammonia bomb off in your tank!

Sic_Maggot13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2008
San Diego
Riv D;1800629; said:
Also I heard adding freshwater clams into your sump will also lessen the nitrates if im not wrong.
I wouldn't mess with clams,
If one dies and you don't notice, it's like setting an ammonia bomb off in your tank![/quote]

lmao yeahhh it is, just dont keep too many. i have 1 per 25 gallons in my tank

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Sic_Maggot13;1800592; said:
there are better ways to go. get some kinda bio media or specific media for removing nitrates or use reverse ozzmosis water. you must be doing something wrong though
ro water or not fish poop is poop and that egts converted to nitrates like it or not. heres some good ways to keep nitrates down

dont over stock and feed moderatly
keep doing your 25 percent a week water changes
adding fuges does help.
use a denitrator!

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
How much water changes did you do? And what fish do you have in the tank?

frasertheking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
scotland
intresting keep us updated on the pram over the next few weeks might want to add a fast growing stem plant or a floating one also to help suck up the excess nitrates ,also if i remember right they will also absorb amonnia and nitrite so should lessen the entire load on the entire tank even if only slight .

godd luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store