Fresh Water Refugium

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
Will be watching for updates on this one.

djlancer88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Syracuse NY
100% water changes weekly would keep your nitrates down. When you do such large water changes though make sure the ph that is coming out of your tap is the same in your tank, if not. Youll have to do some adjusting in another large container. Those plants are not going to help only if you had a field full of them in my opinion, iv been down this root before. If your having trouble keeping your nitrates down lessin your bioload or get a bigger tank

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I've used planted sumps for years, because only floating plants work with my fish.
My nitrates usually measure between 2ppm & 5ppm. Usually do a water change every other day or 2.

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
Well gentlemen, I have stalk and vine plants floating on foam in my sump. Judging by their root growth, leaf production, leaf size and water parameters....I would say plants in a refugarium/sump should certainly be considered.
My system houses three stingray (14.5, 12.25 and 12) inches respectfully. I am dealing with approx 390-415 gallons of water, with a turnover (filtering) rate of 7.41 times an hour.
The plants I added, and the fashion in which I added them has markedly improved my water quality. I do things a little diferent: I do water changes when the NO3 exceeds 5ppm.
Before the plants I would see this and do water changes almost every 7-9 days.
Now, with the plants, I see this and have to do a water change every 20 days or so.

*** some disclaimers ***
I am an amateur at this and these are only observations.
I do not claim to know it all.
I am not saying my set-up will work for everyone.
Respectfully, FireMedic

JLad10687

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2008
Pennsylvania
djlancer88;1801817; said:
100% water changes weekly would keep your nitrates down. When you do such large water changes though make sure the ph that is coming out of your tap is the same in your tank, if not. Youll have to do some adjusting in another large container. Those plants are not going to help only if you had a field full of them in my opinion, iv been down this root before. If your having trouble keeping your nitrates down lessin your bioload or get a bigger tank
100% would just start the nitrogen cycle over everytime you did a WC. That doesnt really make sense.

OscartheGrouch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Boston
I read that someone else was having the same problem with their sump and high nitrate levels. He went "Japanese style" and filled his sump until the water level was completely covering the media and it fixed his problem.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
JLad10687;1803798; said:
100% would just start the nitrogen cycle over everytime you did a WC. That doesnt really make sense.
No, because you cycle the filter NOT the tank. The tank is just the nutrient supply and and waste reservoir.

Dr Joe

JLad10687

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2008
Pennsylvania
Dr Joe;1804040; said:
No, because you cycle the filter NOT the tank. The tank is just the nutrient supply and and waste reservoir.

Dr Joe

Are you saying just to take 100% of the water from the sump and put new water into the sump?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store