Tank rocks question

turtle_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
Virginia
I was wondering if anyone knows if its alright or not to use stepping stone rocks as tank decorations? If so, is there anything special that I would need to do to the besides scrub under hot water? Would be used for a 55 gal with 2 green terrors, 2 purple parrots and 1 algae eater.

I was also told that when you first put rocks in a tank it will make the ph spike. Is that true?

As you can tell by now, I'm new to this! :naughty:

Thanks in advance!

turtle_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
Virginia
Just thought I would add a picture or my tank! Oh, and the stepping stone rocks that I am talking about are the stackable flat rocks...

my tank.JPG

my tank 1.JPG

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
turtle_girl;1985376; said:
Anyone know?
I'm assuming that you're talking about pavers or a similar type of rock. You have to be careful when using these types of rock as many have been treated in the manufacturing process. It's hard to know for certain if or what chemicals have been used on these stones.

Stones, depending on their composition, can indeed raise your pH. If they contain elements like calcium or similar elements, they will certainly spike your pH.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
i would be cautious using anything man-made. better go with natural stone. even natural stone you need to be careful since it can alter your ph like hawk said.

here's a good test:

Here's a better idea: if you have a nitrate test kit, you may also already have a better test than vinegar for lime content in rocks. My Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Nitrate Test contains two bottles of prepared solutions. Solution #1, labeled "Caution: contains hydrochloric acid," comes in a handy squeeze dropper bottle. If a drop or two on a candidate rock fizzes, or even bubbles, that rock would raise the pH in the aquarium.

rucus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2007
Nebraska
WWW.FISHTAILAQUATICS.COM
I wouldn't take the chance. If you insist on using them then place some tank water in a bucket and test and record the PH. Then place the rock in for 24 hours and then retest. It the PH is up then don't use them. If it doesn't then let them sit another 24 hours and retest. Thats the best way to know for sure. As far as the possibility of chemicals thats another story. Good luck

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
rucus;1986024;1986024 said:
I wouldn't take the chance. If you insist on using them then place some tank water in a bucket and test and record the PH. Then place the rock in for 24 hours and then retest. It the PH is up then don't use them. If it doesn't then let them sit another 24 hours and retest. Thats the best way to know for sure. As far as the possibility of chemicals thats another story. Good luck
or you could find out instantly if you use the nitrate test kit as i posted! ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store