Cloudy water....

largemouthfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
IL
I just filled my 55g tank yesterday morning. I have gravel(which i rinsed before putting in) , an artificial tree stump, some artificial plants and some slate rocks in the tank. i put in some Tank Buddies Complete Water Conditioner a couple hours after filling it. Anyway, it seemed pretty clear but when I woke up this morning the water is very very cloudy. Last night I added a few goldfish and 2 crayfish but i don't think that should really make that much of a difference as I've done it before. Does anyone know what could have happened to the water and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!

largemouthfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
IL
I will probably do a water change. Do you know what would cause this and how I can avoid it in the future?

largemouthfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
IL
duke33;2016329; said:
Do you have a test kit? Use it or get one and post your parameters. That will tell you what might be wrong..if anything. It could be a bloom.

I don't have a test kit, but I can go get one once the pet store opens up.
I will post my test results once I have them. If it is a bacteria bloom, is there anything else I should do besides a water change to make sure it doesn't happen again with the new water?

largemouthfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
IL
duke33;2016350; said:
Are you over feeding?

No. I have 12 very small goldfish in there with the 2 crayfish. I fed the goldfish once a few hours after putting them in and they ate most of it right away. There was barely anything left over.

Bud8Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Nebraska
I'm going to bet you have high ammonia in your tank as the tank is not cycled yet and it is indeed a bacterial bloom.

To prevent it in the future with a new tank don't add so many fish at one time. Add them slowly over time so that the nitrifying bacteria can establish and handle the load.

largemouthfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
IL
Ok I got a test kit:

Nitrate approx. 20 ppm
Nitrite approx 0.5 ppm
Alkalinity approx 120 ppm
pH is about 7.2
Ammonia is about 0.50 ppm

Where should I go from here? I do have a water conditioner made by Wardly that is supposed to neutralize ammonia. I also have a water clarifier Accu-Clear from API. Should I use both of these?... One?... Neither?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store