California Golden Trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss aguabonita

Scatocephalus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Rio Negro
I've been researching these fish since having posted about them a couple days ago. It sounds like keeping them in captivity is quite doable. They only grow to 10" max and 5"-7" is the norm. Diet is easily replicated with trout meal, however, I'm sure a more natural diet would be more appropriate for bringing out the spectacular colors.

The 2 biggest barriers are water temp and actually getting them.

The temp is not as difficult to accomplish as you might think. Summer temps typically max out at around 55 degrees. A 1/2 horse chiller on a well insulated tank could easily pull down to 55 and even colder. A bit pricey but certainly not completely prohibitive.

Acquiring the fish... this is the goocher. Nowhere can I find anything related to getting these fish, even for research purposes. From what I can tell, even the specimens bred in "captivity" for stocking streams and lakes are bred in large ponds in the high Sierras. There is not an indoor type facility or set up of race ways such as what is seen with other game fishes programs. This may end up being another unattainable dream.

R1_Ridah

In Loving Memory
Apr 4, 2005
WEST COAST

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
very cool fish if only they were obtanible

JIM

Banned
Nov 5, 2008
Indiana
Without a doubt, I will never own one of these, nor even see one for real, Such a beautiful fish, Thank you so much for bringing it to us even in a dream :D

sterling_mcdaniel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
idaho
Back in the early 1960's the government planted these golden trout along and greyling in a few remote mountain lakes in Idaho.........
I read it somewhere......

invisyblegypsey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Toms River NJ.08757
R1_Ridah;2645038; said:
So nice. I am planning a fishing trip to the High Sierra's soon and hope to come across these guys.

In addition, last summer I went River Rafting in the Kern River and it looks as the "Golden Trout" can be found up the river. I booked to return this summer so now at least I know to bring a fishing pole =-)

Here's another good read.

http://bss.sfsu.edu/holzman/courses/spring 05 projects/g. trout/golden trout final website.htm
you can probbley git some from a hatchery i belive they are hybreds

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
invisyblegypsey;2660523; said:
They aren't hybrids, just a sub-species of rainbow trout.

Back in the early 1960's the government planted these golden trout along and greyling in a few remote mountain lakes in Idaho.
Grayling are a fish I'd love to keep someday.

oscarcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2008
Houston, TX/Juneau, AK
invisyblegypsey;2660523; said:

Not hybrids. Natural subspecies. The San Diego Sea World has a nice tank full of the suckers. It was awesome to watch these guys and they are beautiful in the tank. Will post a pic when I can get some bandwidth to work with.

sharkaddict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
California
There is a lake called Saddlebag that I go to every year. If you hike or ferry across the lake there are a lot of other small lakes back there that you can actually catch 5 different species of trout, however all of the Goldens are catch and release only. Have you ever considered a Brook Trout?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store