Trying a new waterproofing rubber!!

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
I have in the plans a new plywood tank build. I had alot of trouble finding a waterproofer for the plywood that i liked. I looked into fireglassing it, epoxy sealing it, pond shield, Blue Max liquid rubber, dryloc, and several others. I finally found somthing that fit my demands. It is called Zavlar by liquid rubber.

This stuff is non-toxic, very very flexable, very stong, sticks to just about anything, doesnt have a bad smell, impact/penatration resistant, ect. ect..... plus its only comes to $39 CAD a gallon(approx. $31 american)

It also doesnt have to be mixed in two parts like other products of the same use. It can also be a pllied like paint! with a brush,roller or even a squigee. It is tack free in around 5 mins and fully cured in 24hrs! and comes in a variety of colours.

I picked up two gallons of this stuff and opened one up to see what its all about. i noticed it didnt have much of a smell(somthing like new rubber glove smell,but very faint) and it had the consistancy of thick paint. I applied some to a piece of plywood to see how it sticks and if i can peel it off. i did that last night, so i will test it later today to see how it stands up. I also took the bottom of a box of chocolates and coated the inside of it with it. i added no support to the box, i just painted the inside of it. i think this could be a good test for it, but we'll see.

I'd like to get others opinions on this relatively new product of canada.
they make a few different names of this stuff, but its all the same, just different types for different was to applicate.

here is a link to their website so you can read the MSDS and full spec sheet.

http://www.liquidrubber.ca/Zavlar.asp

also here is a video of this stuff. watch the whole thing, the last end of the video is what got me really excited about this stuff.

http://www.liquidrubber.ca/video/NewVideo.html

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
Sounds like an insanely good deal, if it works out. Pond armor costs a few hundred $ per gallon, doesn't it?

After watching the video, it sounds like an awesome product.

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
FSM;3031133; said:
Sounds like an insanely good deal, if it works out. Pond armor costs a few hundred $ per gallon, doesn't it?

After watching the video, it sounds like an awesome product.
Thats what i was thinking too. After comparing the two, i choose this one. hopefully it works as it states it will. If so, i this may be one of the best, easiest and cheapest way to waterproof a plywood tank.

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
ttmf;3031196; said:
cool find. reasonably priced too. did they say how long it lasts? the cardboard box was 4 years old and was still in good shape.
Im not sure how long it lasts, but im am confident it lasts for a very long time.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Very interesting. That would also solve the issues with sticking and sealing glass to a plywood tank. I'm glad I haven't built my pond yet!

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
"elastomeric asphalt emulsion" ??? An oil based latex??

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
They state that it is a "modified elastomeric asphalt emulsion "

from what i can gather,

Elastomeric= any polymer having the elastic properties of rubber(resumes its original shape when a deforming force is removed)

Asphalt= bituminous waterproofing agent, designed to be impervious to moisture.

Emulsion= A stable mixture of two or more immiscible liquids in suspension.

So i think the reason why it is like a thick paint instead of a thick goo, is because it may be mixed with water. The way it cures may be that the water evaporates, leaving behind a rubber substance.
This is only a guess based on the way they describe it, and that they state that it cures threw evaporation.

I never thought to break down the decription of it, but im glad i did.

The "chocolate box" that i mentioned earlier has cured. It has now been holding water for over 2 hours. no leaks. this is the type of box that has seams, and can be "broken" down by pulling the seams out. I did not prep the box in anyway befor putting a light coat on it, so i thought it would leak out of those seams. but it looks as thought the rubber has found its way into those cracks and seals them as well. looking good so far.

The piece of plywood i painted stood up to it as well. i cannot peal it off, not even with the help of a razor blade. to it sticks good too.

I also forgot to add that i put a glob of it on a piece of paper to get a feel for it by its self. Its just like in the video. one big elastic rubbery glob.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store