Trying a new waterproofing rubber!!

yotaman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
GA
I'm in the planning stages of building a ply tank also and like the idea of this product.

I'm researching to see if it can be found in the USA for a good price. I'll do more research tomorrow when places are open.

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
"brianhellno" is correct. i looked into it further and the link to the site he provided is the same stuff, by the same company(liquid rubber) just sold under a different name.

the company in the states is called PermaDri inc. and they are located in Fresno, CA . you can contact them at (800) 279-5604
or email them at the email listed on there site. im curious to know what this stuff costs a gallon down there.

yotaman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
GA
joey020283;3034492; said:
"brianhellno" is correct. i looked into it further and the link to the site he provided is the same stuff, by the same company(liquid rubber) just sold under a different name.

the company in the states is called PermaDri inc. and they are located in Fresno, CA . you can contact them at (800) 279-5604
or email them at the email listed on there site. im curious to know what this stuff costs a gallon down there.
I sent them an email asking them how much and where I could get it. I'll give them a call tomorrow morning also.

Do you just plan to paint over the viewing cutout and just silicone the viewing window over this rubber stuff?

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
yotaman;3034546; said:
I sent them an email asking them how much and where I could get it. I'll give them a call tomorrow morning also.

Do you just plan to paint over the viewing cutout and just silicone the viewing window over this rubber stuff?
Cant wait to hear what they say for you.

yes, thats what i was planning on doing. plywood, then rubber, then silicone then glass for the viewing area. im sure the silicone will hold. I will test silicone on the rubber first to see how it holds befor i make the final decision.

Woodworm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
:popcorn:Subscribed! Love to see your results. If this works as advertised it just might make it cost effective to build some smaller specialty tanks. Please keep us updated with your results. The wife won't let me experiment so it is all on you.:ROFL:

ranjith

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2009
canada
a longtime lurker and ive been planning a plywood tank build on a budget. I've been debating between a few options while leaning towards epoxy resin when i came across this. This stuff really sounds exciting, do keep us posted on how it works for you in your plywood build. This may just be the perfect price for what i can afford to spend, I just have to learn more about it.

Im curious as to how it holds up over a long period of time.

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
Woodworm;3035116; said:
:popcorn:Subscribed! Love to see your results. If this works as advertised it just might make it cost effective to build some smaller specialty tanks. Please keep us updated with your results. The wife won't let me experiment so it is all on you.:ROFL:
Thats what mine said! "this better not be one of your experiments! it better work"

oh well, im dong it anyway.

ranjith;3035640; said:
a longtime lurker and ive been planning a plywood tank build on a budget. I've been debating between a few options while leaning towards epoxy resin when i came across this. This stuff really sounds exciting, do keep us posted on how it works for you in your plywood build. This may just be the perfect price for what i can afford to spend, I just have to learn more about it.

Im curious as to how it holds up over a long period of time.
thats exactly how i felt. i seached constanty for plywood tank builds. i finally fiound this stuff surfing google and figured i'll give it a shot. if it can water proof a cardbord box, then it will do plywood no problem.

MyFishEatYourFish;3036172; said:
nice find. maybe you could skip the silicone step alltogether and use just the liquid rubber. did it say anything about applying multiple coats?

yes, you can do multiple coats. you can build it up as thick as you want. im going to do 2 coats. i'll be using a sponge roller for the large flat areas and a brush for the corners and tight spots. it goes on just like paint.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store