Blood Parrot Growth Rate

baxtor_lex

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
Peterborough
www.facebook.com
How long does it take BP's to grow to a 6" size?? and when will they stop hiding im finding it extremely irritating never seeing any fish in such a big tank??
Same growth question about "kirin" parrots too?? anyone have a Flowerhorn X parrot?? what are yours like??
thanks guys

PICT0089.JPG

TwistedPenguin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
They're shy fish, any amount of research will tell you that. If you want an outgoing 'extroverted' fish you're probably out of luck.
I've had my 3 Blood Parrots over 2 yrs, it took about a year for them to get to 6" from juvies. The 3rd one never did grow much and is still a runt

baxtor_lex

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
Peterborough
www.facebook.com
They're shy fish, any amount of research will tell you that. If you want an outgoing 'extroverted' fish you're probably out of luck.
i knew they were shy, i didnt actually want this type of fish.... but now im stuck with them im embracing them..

i read so much conflicting info on them, thats why i thought id just ask on here

TwistedPenguin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
Well if it makes you feel any better mine will come darting up to the front begging when they see me reaching to open the lid to feed them. They're in a 6' tank with some Plecs so there's no real competition and it's a dark tank.

baxtor_lex

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
Peterborough
www.facebook.com
thanks.... its just frustrating to have a fish i dont want, then i cant even watch them... i would love a flowerhorn instead, but as far as i know, there hard to come by here in the uk.....

so do parrots ALWAYS hide or is a age thing??

TwistedPenguin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
It took several months of settling in before mine would come out when I was around. I think they must be pretty intelligent as far as fish go. Because mine won't come out at all when it's my husband or son in front of the tank. They either recognize me or recognize that I'm a giant food bag.

baxtor_lex

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
Peterborough
www.facebook.com
hmm, i agree. they're definatly brainy, im considering rehoming...... im never going to settle with them...

but im SO picky when it comes to fish, i like size, but i dont like you average JD, sevs, gt, all that stuff.... wanted something abit different....

i feel so unsatisfied with these parrots....

i love my kirin parrot though, but even he's started hiding more... i dont know :(

vfc

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Philadelphia
Although your tank picture is blurry, it looks like you may have a blue reflective background.

Try changing it to a natural plant background. My Blood Parrot hid for weeks when I had a blue background. When I changed it to a natural background, the BP was out in front of the tank within an hour and is now always up front swimming around. I assume he feels safer knowing he can dart into the weeds if threatened.

PB243719.JPG

PC143827.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store