Can anyone identify this sunfish?

Native Breeder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2010
Central California
i came across a picture of this fish on a local fishing forum and can't identify it. I have heard this Site a good source of information and wanted to know if anyone knows what kind of sunfish this is and where i could get one. Anyone have any ideas, i was thinking a possible hybrid?

mystery sunfish.jpg

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
I want to say
Pumpkinseed Sunfish

Native Breeder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2010
Central California
thats a posibitty, but i would think that would be shaped like a bluegill/green hybrid... this is shaped more like a green, warmouth or longear. maybe its a variation of one of those. I know warmouth are found in a few places in ca so i guess thats possible, but i have never heard of longears in ca tho

Gearhead

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
In the garage
Its a hybrid for sure, as to what kind... I would say green/pumpkin as it has the colors of a pumpkin with the yellow fin edges and head of a green.

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
The head and body shape and facial pattern are very warmouth-like; I'd guess that's a component.

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
Native Breeder;4548129; said:
Its forsure not a pumpkinseed as i have caught many of those and this fish seens to be the wrong shape
The body shape certainly made me hesitate in labeling it - but worth a shot.

Hybrid seems to be the most likely explanation.

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
The body is too deep, the dorsal too high, and the pectoral too long and pointed to be pure green, though there certainly could be some green in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store