Can anyone identify this sunfish?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
notho2000;4582422; said:
It's an orange spotted sunfish (Lepomis humilis)
Based on what? I hope you dont use the colors to ID this sunfish because this is not orange spotted sunfish.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Based on what? I hope you dont use the colors to ID this sunfish because this is not orange spotted sunfish.
lol, x2. Definitely not an Orange Spotted.
I know this is an old thread, but I just noticed your comments. I keep these sunfish along with several other species. Sorry gentlemen, I disagree with you (and your "lol" is offensive). It is a Lepomis humilis female (Orangespotted sunfish). Here is the original pic from the OP. Here's an Orange spotted sunfish (male) from the Maumee River. They're pretty much identical except for the shorter gill plate on the female.
mystery sunfish.jpgOSsunfish.jpg

mystery sunfish.jpg

OSsunfish.jpg

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Notho2000, that is because this isn't orangespotted sunfish at all. Females of orangespotted sunfish are super duller and silvery than the fish in question and the fish in question lacks of white edge on the gill where both sexes of orangespotted sunfish have. Not mentioned that the fish in question has quite large mouth that is way past the eye where the mouth of orangespotted sunfish barely past the eye. Also the fish in question have mottles on anal & dorsal fin where orangespotted sunfish do not have. The fish in question has more round caudal fin suggest that it is part green sunfish where the orangespotted sunfish's caudal fin is less round.

This is hybrid sunfish, most likely green hybrid.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
You're making a strong case for it not being one. You obviously know what your talking about. Thanks for your reply. I'll think I'll rethink.:thumbsup:

Cod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
Michigan
definitely has some green in it for sure, i fish for greenies a lot, just look at its mouth

CHUFF

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Virginia
I know this thread is a few months old but i fish at this small pond not far from my house here in gloucester VA and its loaded with these hybrids. Ive been fishing there for a few years and most of the time im strictly fishing for sunnies. Ive fished around the entire pond and the only sunfish that ive pulled out are tons of greensunfish, redears,bluegil and these hybrids.. No pumpkinseeds, its not imposible that i just havent caught any yet but like i said i fished this pond for years. The small hybrids look identical to the one posted but the bigger more mature ones have a longer spot on there gil plate, Almost like a redbreasted sunnie does. And ive tried them in my native tank and they are very VERY aggresive/territorial. Its forsure part greensunfish but i really dont think the other half is pumpkinseed..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store