Anyone keep Sturgeons??

fishtician

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
New york
Anybody have sturgeons in the tanks? If so what do you keep with them and at what temp?? Any Pics?

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
I think personally sturgeon get too big for aquariums. thats just how i feel though i've seen lots of people on here that keep sterlets.

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
Sterlet are one of the best aquarium species. Shovelnose would be even better, but they just aren't available.

I have 2 sterlet which are currently in a 65 for growout. They are about 6 and 8". Their only current tankmate is a 7" comet goldfish. The tank is unheated and is normally around 68-75 F depending on the season. I'm currently debating selling them of keeping them. They'll probably outgrow the 65 before I'm ready to get them something bigger. I've had some interest, but I'll probably have them a little while longer

Ambervikings91

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
Tatooine
they just get to big, i'd love to have one but i'd have to get an extremely massive tank which i may never have, my largest tank is a 125 gallon tank and that isn't even sorta big enough

Ozarker

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2011
NW Arkansas
I have 3 sterlets and 2 diamond sturgeons, each about 5-6", in an unheated 240 with white clouds, bloodfins and Odessa barbs. I plan to add dojos and hi-fin banded sharks as well. Temp ranges from 50-65 F. I feed frozen brine, mysis, bloodworms and very small sinking pellets. They are very primitive, mild-mannered, non-aggressive and fascinating bottom feeders. I've had them for about 3 months and while they do get large they grow slowly. I will eventually move them into my 1,000 gal and then into a farm pond (if I'm still alive by then). I bought them online from a fellow on Aquabid who offers them regularly. They shipped well, were healthy and acclimated quickly.

jbijl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2012
holland
i have Atlanticus sturgeons and paddelfish
if you want sturgeons the tank must be atleast 5000 galons
Gr Jeroen

jbijl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2012
holland
i have Atlanticus sturgeons and paddelfish
if you want sturgeons the tank must be atleast 5000 galons
Gr Jeroen

Ozarker

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2011
NW Arkansas
jbijl, not to hijack the thread, but what do you feed your paddlefish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store