Anyone keep Sturgeons??

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
They are bred in quite a few fisheries, but if you intend to keep them in your pond that is a bad idea..
Too small :)

juzbmez

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2011
Where Lightening Strikes
Sturgeons can be kept in ponds if the pond is big enough. There are a few people in CA that have sturgies in koi ponds. 30"-36" kois with 3-4ft sturgies in 5,000 to 10,000 gal ponds. Trust me you can keep them in ponds.

4wheelvfr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Southern Illinois
sturgeons are not aquarium fish...
They are once you put them in one.
they get hugee
Like the people making false blanket statements about all sturgeon needing 5000 gallons, not necessarily.

It's true that most sturgeon need larger aquariums than most people can provide. Many also need cold, highly oxygenated water that most people are unwilling or unable to provide. There are, however, some species that can make good aquarium pets. The shovelnose is one such species. They reach a relatively small maximum size and are very well acclimated to low oxygen content, poor water conditions, and higher temps. A tank as small as 6' by 3' could possibly work for a couple of these.

Like any fish turned into an "aquarium fish" though, it's best to take their species specific needs into consideration. Always provide the healthiest environment you can afford. Some MIGHT do well in a 6x3 with adequate filtration, while others would be in hell. Lots of blanket statements being attributed to all sturgeon here. Some live in ice cold water and grow to 20' long while others are at home with surface temps in the upper 80's and only grow to 3'.

4wheelvfr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Southern Illinois
sturgeons are not aquarium fish...
Sturgeons can be kept in ponds if the pond is big enough. There are a few people in CA that have sturgies in koi ponds. 30"-36" kois with 3-4ft sturgies in 5,000 to 10,000 gal ponds. Trust me you can keep them in ponds.
There are a number of sturgeon that would make awesome pond fish imo. My only concern would be providing them with some good water flow. In my experience, the more flow the better for many species, which is not always provided in a pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store