Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
dude 30C will kill sturgeon for sure. i am surprised that it is still alive

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
Ben let it go ,there always will be peopel that think they are a expert in keeping animals in real small upsets and dont thinking that this animal cruelty is but animal lovers really know that you cannot keep them like this minimum size is 10.000 liter for all sturgeon sp

This is also a reason why i not answer some peopel that want to keep paddelfish or other sturgeons becose their setup is only 400 gallons or les , i will not help peopel to give the animals a bad live in a to small setup

I dont help to commit animal cruelty
Jeroen

And this is my opinion
Yeah- what a cruel, incompetent, calouse, uncaring, buffoon. Only 400 gallons for a grow out tank? :banhim:

Oh Crud, -wait a minute- I think that is me? If I remember right my paddlefish grow out tank is only 400 gallons.:ROFL:

Ozarker

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2011
NW Arkansas
The problem is actually not surviving high temps ( no problem for sturgeon) but that they need high temperature fluctuations to be healthy. This is why I only recommend sturgeon for outdoor ponds.
Chub_by, can you explain this statement a little more? Are you saying that sturgeon require variation in water temps to be healthy? What do you mean by "high fluctuations"? I have not heard this before and am interested to know more.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
another example of small sturgeons is the Scaphirhynchus platorynchus or shovelnose sturgeon. they will get around 3' or a little bigger. it will take them several years to get that large and it wouldn't need as large of a tank as most.

i had a starlet for a while it grew at a descent rate. it was about 8" or so when my endli killed it by trying to eat it. it ate everything i would offer it. even at 2" when i got it. you can never make to broad of statements, yet generalization is the basis for most fish keeping "facts". it is a catch 22.

seasonal temp variations is a good thing for most cold water sp. they need a kind of fasting time to help regulate their systems. this happens in colder water so it is beneficial in that respect. also to warm of water for to long will kill sturgeons. outdoor ponds are nice not for the seasonal changes, but the depth of them in most cases allow the sturgeons to move freely from warmer water neer the top or a shallow ledge to cooler water in the depths.

i catch lake sturgeons by the hundreds of all sizes. soon the catching will start for another year!

Yeobster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
K.L.
so whats the best temp for sturgeon?im new in keeping sturgeon. i just keep the water at normal temp. im not using any chiller or heater.so far they are doing fine and eat a lot. no dying signal. any tips in keeping sturgeon?

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Chub_by, can you explain this statement a little more? Are you saying that sturgeon require variation in water temps to be healthy? What do you mean by "high fluctuations"? I have not heard this before and am interested to know more.
Sturgeon ( well most of them) come from the cold zones of our planet..they have very high fluctuations in temperature in their natural habitat. They will also need this in aquariums and ponds to reach their max livespan. Sturgeon kept at room temp or even higher their whole lives won't reach a high age and size.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
This would really depend on the species of sturgeon...

Yeah- what a cruel, incompetent, calouse, uncaring, buffoon. Only 400 gallons for a grow out tank? :banhim:

Oh Crud, -wait a minute- I think that is me? If I remember right my paddlefish grow out tank is only 400 gallons.:ROFL:
400 gallons is a nice size tank if it is broader than it is tall, swimming space is more important than the height of the tank.

It is more likely they require a variation in day length and temps to breed than to remain healthy but temps tolerance does depend on the species.

another example of small sturgeons is the Scaphirhynchus platorynchus or shovelnose sturgeon. they will get around 3' or a little bigger. it will take them several years to get that large and it wouldn't need as large of a tank as most.

i had a starlet for a while it grew at a descent rate. it was about 8" or so when my endli killed it by trying to eat it. it ate everything i would offer it. even at 2" when i got it. you can never make to broad of statements, yet generalization is the basis for most fish keeping "facts". it is a catch 22.

seasonal temp variations is a good thing for most cold water sp. they need a kind of fasting time to help regulate their systems. this happens in colder water so it is beneficial in that respect. also to warm of water for to long will kill sturgeons. outdoor ponds are nice not for the seasonal changes, but the depth of them in most cases allow the sturgeons to move freely from warmer water neer the top or a shallow ledge to cooler water in the depths.

i catch lake sturgeons by the hundreds of all sizes. soon the catching will start for another year!
Shovelnose is the most temperature tolerant sturgeon we are likely to see in home aquariums, it's certainly not the smallest but even in the wild most specimens are in the 24 to 30 inch range, keeping a fish in an aquarium will almost always affect it's maximum size, but it's important to remember that the listed maximum size is often never reached even in the wild.

so whats the best temp for sturgeon?im new in keeping sturgeon. i just keep the water at normal temp. im not using any chiller or heater.so far they are doing fine and eat a lot. no dying signal. any tips in keeping sturgeon?

Again temps depend on the species, shovelnose can and will do great at temps in the high 70's if good water quality is given and aeration. They are not dedicated cold water fish like a trout but are more of a warm water fish that tolerates cold weather in the winter. There are quite a few fish that tolerate cold water in the winter but do better at more moderate temps year round.

Sturgeon ( well most of them) come from the cold zones of our planet..they have very high fluctuations in temperature in their natural habitat. They will also need this in aquariums and ponds to reach their max livespan. Sturgeon kept at room temp or even higher their whole lives won't reach a high age and size.
Temps do affect maximum life spans but this can be misleading, just because a fish that is kept in cold water lives longer doesn't mean it has to be kept in cold water. A fishes metabolism runs according to the temps it's in. a lake Sturgeon that lives in a northern lake where it never sees temps above 45 degrees f will live longer than one that lives in a lake that gets to be in the 70's or 80's in the summer but that is not a fair comparison since the cold water fish lives slower, this is not an indication it lives healthier life because it lives longer.

Chuncan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Corralitos, CA
Would love to get a sturgeon someday, but I cant tell if California allows them or not. Anyone know? If I have to move to oregon I will, because they allow everything.B

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store