Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 6:53 PM
    Awesome looking pair of oscars!!!! They will make someone very happy.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 6:53 PM
    Were the oscars from a certain river or just the Bahia Brazil area? Any other cichlids that would work well with them in a tank from the same area?

Datnoid
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 4:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguapote View Post
    Thanks for your interest. You're looking at a 10-12" fish when fully grown. They compete well for food and are agile swimmers.
    They also seem to be quite tolerant of temperature range. They are thriving in my tanks where the ambient air temp in my facility is near 78-80*F when it's not summer. Then things heat up even more!

So I have to tell you - I have a case of 'tank envy'. A 1000 gal tank?!
    I'd love to see this pair call your tank home. Heck, there are lots of other fish here that would fight for a one way ticket to IL to swim in your tank. If you are willing and able, I'm happy to talk about it.
    Please email me directly to discuss your individual order.
    I may have to email you on these guys soon then, they look very interesting. The P. bifasciatus in the tank have spawned at least 3 times in that tank by the way. Those also came from you.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Joe
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 3:23 PM
    Aweome list jeff! Any idea when the next brazil shipment will arrive?
    South American Eartheater Collector

Egg
    Usergroup
    Members
    Last Activity
    04-09-2012 12:21 AM
    A little off topic but curious none the less... Would Goliath Tigerfish survive in a "wild" pond in Southeast Missouri? I am building a "natural" aquarium using an existing large deep pond with a huge underground viewing room attached to an underground home/bunker and would like to introduce this species. Temperature regulation will of course be mostly natural so I would like to know if these could survive the winter months. I have the pond sectioned so as to segregated certain species. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

M.A.N. Community Vendor bigguapote's Avatar
    Usergroup
    M.A.N. Community Vendors
    Last Activity
    08-27-2014 11:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothe View Post
    A little off topic but curious none the less... Would Goliath Tigerfish survive in a "wild" pond in Southeast Missouri? I am building a "natural" aquarium using an existing large deep pond with a huge underground viewing room attached to an underground home/bunker and would like to introduce this species. Temperature regulation will of course be mostly natural so I would like to know if these could survive the winter months. I have the pond sectioned so as to segregated certain species. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Talk about a 'man cave'. Now that's a very unique and ingenious way to use the limestone topography prevelant in your region to the aquarist's advantage!
    Sorry to inform you that there is no way a tropical species could survive in MO waters. Would you consider jumping into a pond by your home in the winter months?
    You may want to measure the temperatures of this pond throughout the year. That will give you a guideline to the temperatures by which you have to then match to the fishes' requirements.
    At 36-37* latitude, you're about a 1000 miles north of tropical climate.
    Spring fed ponds also tend to remain cooler throughout the warmer seasons than a free standing body of water where the sun and ambient summer temperature will warm from the surface.

Aside from incorporating native fish in this water filled sinkhole, you may like to do a little research by using your existing latitude when viewing a world map. In the northern hemisphere, fish species native to much of China, Japan, and Korea could conceivably do well by you because they are found at similar latitudes to SE MO.
    Looking to the south, species native to Uruguay and Argentina may also be of consideration. Lots of viewers on the MFK are familiar with the many Gymnogeophagus species, Australoheros species (chanchito relatives), and Crenicichla species that occur in these regions.

I do want to mention that because these species may be able to live and breed in a pond in your area, there is nothing preventing them from doing so BEYOND the confines of your natural aquarium as well.
    No fencing or wire mesh barriers would confine fry to an environment such as this. Storms causing high waters will overflow ponds. The inhabitants of the ponds are then dispersed elsewhere. The non-native fish populations existing throughout southern Florida are a prime example of this. There are many other areas where similar conditions exist.
    Think 'Jurassic Park' and you get the idea.

I hope that gives you (and other readers) something to think about.
    Seven days of no MFK makes one weak.
    Jeff Rapps
    Tangled Up In Cichlids, New Jersey
    http://www.tangledupincichlids.com, bigguapote1@verizon.net
    MFK Community Vendor
    http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Sonny
    Last Activity
    08-25-2014 1:05 PM
    Blog Entries
    so I can find it easier...
    My fish blog and photography updated August 2014.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Joe
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 3:23 PM
    Hey Jeff Ihave a question about the bolt cats, do they do well with other bolt cats? or are they aggressive with one another? I just want to see if it is possible to keep more then 1 together with out them killing eachother. Thanks in advance!
    South American Eartheater Collector

M.A.N. Community Vendor bigguapote's Avatar
    Usergroup
    M.A.N. Community Vendors
    Last Activity
    08-27-2014 11:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orinocensis1 View Post
    Hey Jeff Ihave a question about the bolt cats, do they do well with other bolt cats? or are they aggressive with one another? I just want to see if it is possible to keep more then 1 together with out them killing eachother. Thanks in advance!
    I've imported them before at large size and kept them together - no issues.
    The juveniles did fine together. I have only one on hand right now @ 2.5-3" size.
    Seven days of no MFK makes one weak.
    Jeff Rapps
    Tangled Up In Cichlids, New Jersey
    http://www.tangledupincichlids.com, bigguapote1@verizon.net
    MFK Community Vendor
    http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Travis
    Last Activity
    08-23-2014 10:56 PM
    Thanks for the help today Jeff! Look forward to seeing the little guys real soon. Travis

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
    Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouth!

220G, 110G, 125G, 75G x2, 20G, 10G

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12