Northfin food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquatik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto
Wondering if any one has used Northfin, might not be available in the U.S, ingrediants are right up there with NLS. Gonna try some soon my LFS has it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
NLS ....... copied by many, duplicated by none. ;)

"might not be available in the US"

Mike, that's the understatement of the year. lol This food is barely availablie in Canada (I counted 5 retail outlets, all in ON), so if you are looking for input on it I would suggest posting on a local forum in the GTA. Chances are no one other than Darius himself has used it long enough to know what kind of results it's going to produce.

Aquatik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto
Yes I noticed after there was only a hand full of retailers lol. Niel it looks like Darius has somthing good going dont you think, seems to have some quality ingrediants! NLS is hard to beat but this new food dosnt look to be far behind :)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Mike, lots of things look impressive on paper, but don't always work out that way in practice. There's a lot more to making a quality food than just having the right ingredients. What you do with those ingredients can be just as important as the ingredients themselves.

FYI - Darius used to import, breed & sell African cichlids on his aquariumshop.ca website. Up until a few years ago he also sold NLS, and Dainichi. Now suddenly he's marketing his own food, with near identical ingredients as NLS, with the addition of montmorillonite clay, which ironically is one of the main marketing ploys of Dainichi. It's easy to copy other peoples ideas, but not always so easy to actually duplicate them.

Now if he came out with this food, and the quality tested out via long term feed trials, and the sticker price was a lot less than other premium foods that are already out there, then he might have a chance of surviving in this market. Problem is, the retail prices that I'm seeing are as high, or higher than NLS. Most consumers will stick to the foods that have a long successful track record, and have withstood the test of time, unless there is a significant difference in cost. This may be a quality product, hard to say at this point but either way I think that Darius is going to have a difficult go of it. I wish him the best of luck.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I find it interesting that they use the Calcium Montmorillonite Clay like what is found in Dainichi fish foods. Many of the reviews Ive read on that product have said how many fish refuse to eat it because it is so hard. I wondered if this Northfin will have the same issues.

pingopongo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Excellent fish food. I've been using it exclusively for close to 2 years and prefer it to N.L.S. I keep large Central, South American and all types of Africans and haven't had any issues with it. Fish are all healthy, breeding and good growth. It is available through MOPS for mail order and many pet stores in Canada. It's hard for a new product to crack the market and takes time and an open mind from consumers. The pellets are a lot softer than Dainichi. One of the problems I had with Dainichi was that many of my fish wouldn't eat it. Not so with NORTHFIN. I have used most of the major fish foods over the years and this is definitely a winner. My pike and every other fish I keep took to it right away. The only negative reviews I have seen are from people whose interests are invested elsewhere. Made in Canada by a diehard experienced aquariest using quality ingredients. The food is actually the same price or cheaper than N.L.S. Give it a try and you won't switch back.

fishman09

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2011
Centralia, WA
Older thread but the ingredients look very similar to nls which is always a positive lol. I actually prefer a few aspects of the food over nls. That they have the two sizes of jumbo pellets (4&6mm) and that theyre a sinking pellet vs NLS jumbo which is floating. I also like the protein % being higher in north fin as well at 44% vs 35% or so in NLS so i wouldn't need to supplement with other foods like krill or whatnot to growing fish which i prefer also. The ingredients may not be as high quality as NLS but in comparison this stuff seems pretty darn close even though its a copycat and even has some features i prefer over NLS. Price seems to be a bit more in bulk than the 10$/lb of NLS.

All in all Its a food I want to give a try and seems really solid.

Following after the footsteps of NLS is never a bad thing lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Forrest ........ just an FYI for you. When reading a fish food label, the crude protein level (and crude fat) are listed as minimum values, not maximum. I'm not sure where your recent fixation on protein levels is coming from, but I thought that you might be interested in knowing that. The reason that some manufacturers hold back on certain info on their labels is for the very reason that you are seeing here. As previously stated, there's a lot more to making a quality food than just having the right ingredients. What you do with those ingredients can be just as important as the ingredients themselves. It's easy to copy other peoples ideas, but not always so easy to actually duplicate them.

I'm also not too sure how anyone could state that they have been using this food exclusively for close to 2 years, when its initial distribution began less than a year ago. I'm guessing someone who was in on the initial free handouts?

Funny how every new player on the food circuit always wants to compare their "new generation" line of fish food, with NLS. :D

fishman09

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2011
Centralia, WA
Forrest ........ just an FYI for you. When reading a fish food label, the crude protein level (and crude fat) are listed as minimum values, not maximum. I'm not sure where your recent fixation on protein levels is coming from, but I thought that you might be interested in knowing that. The reason that some manufacturers hold back on certain info on their labels is for the very reason that you are seeing here. As previously stated, there's a lot more to making a quality food than just having the right ingredients. What you do with those ingredients can be just as important as the ingredients themselves. It's easy to copy other peoples ideas, but not always so easy to actually duplicate them.

I'm also not too sure how anyone could state that they have been using this food exclusively for close to 2 years, when its initial distribution began less than a year ago. I'm guessing someone who was in on the initial free handouts?

Funny how every new player on the food circuit always wants to compare their "new generation" line of fish food, with NLS. :D
Neil i see what your saying but outside of NLS what food label (just looking at the label) compares to this stuff? Its got quality ingredients (even though sardine is lower q vs herring), and is low grain also with only using wheat also. If it is comparable to NLS then IMO thats a great thing. I think we can all agree the food doesn't need to be perfect for fish to turn out great. If NLS is #1 (which I cannot and will not disagree with) then what's wrong with finding a solid #2 and isn't copying the best usually a good way to go??

As for the higher protein i seem fixated on... With solely feeding NLS the growth wasn't what I wanted for my growing fish so I upped the protein as the growth came back. Trying to find a higher quality version of all those "growth" foods including some of the stuff I've been feeding lately without the need to supplement.

I will note that my Hoga (best in the world btw;) is getting solely NLS because he's an adult now and I want him to last as long as possible so he's getting the best plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store