Heating my tank with Natural Gas

Cicho

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Bergen County, NJ
I have my 150 gallon tank in a family room that I don’t use very often. Due to the less frequent use and the room being on its own heat zone, I select to keep that room at lower temperatures when not in use. Ultimately that room spends a lot of time under 55 degrees. This inevitably makes it more difficult to keep the tank at optimal temperatures.

I started out with (2) Two Marineland Stealth heaters rated at 250 watts each. These heaters would cycle on an off but when I checked the power consumption I was less than thrilled. I ran both heaters through a Belkin Conserve Insight for power data and found that the electric heaters were pulling ~$33/month @ 18 cents per kilowatt.

I decided to look at alternatives and thought about using some form of heat exchanger to transfer heat from my domestic hot water to the tank thus using the far less expensive energy source of natural gas.

I looked at heat exchangers used for solar pool heating and other applications and they looked great but I wasn’t willing to put the money down for what was essentially an experiment at this point. I decided that making a simple, although clearly less efficient heat exchanger would be the best route for now. I placed the heat exchanger between an Ehiem 2215 with 2217 impeller and the tank which essentially turned this into a natural gas powered Hydor inline heater.

What I ended up constructing is a tube in shell heat exchanger. If you are unfamiliar with the principal here is a link to a photo: http://www.cheresources.com/invision...r_1_Image5.gif

I took 1.5” PVC and used Tee fitting on both ends that had 1” NPT female threads. I put a stainless steel pipe inside of the PVC and used compression fittings to seal the stainless steel pipe and PVC pipe. Hot water from the gas hot water heater flows into the stainless pipe from the top and exits the bottom. The water then makes a 180 degree turn and is pumped back to bottom of the hot water heater with a bronze Taco recirculating pump. The hot water system is at the same pressure as the city water.

Aquarium water enters at the lower Tee and flows from bottom to top while absorbing heat from the stainless pipe and exits through the upper Tee. From here it flows back to the tank for discharge.

The Taco recirculating pump is turned on and off by a Ranco ETC controller that has a thermistor (temperature sensing) probe in the tank. This controller allows you to set an offset of 1-30 degrees. I set the unit with a 1 degree offset and 80F setpoint. The controller calls for heat until reaching 80F and then allows the tank to reach 79F before calling for heat. If the offset were 3 degrees it would drop to 77F before calling for heat.

When I reviewed the electric cost of the new system I am running around $4 @ 18 cents per KW of electricity per month now since all of the heat is now coming from natural gas and the electricity is only the cost for pumping the hot water.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Nice! I wish I could do this...gas cost about 1/4 as much as electricity where I live, but in my case the logistics don't work. We have a tiered cost system and I am always pushed into the highest tier (this month was $0.29 per KWHr).

In November I used 160KWHrs to maintain 76F in my 770 gallon tank (room temps would dip into the upper 50s at night). So far in December I have used 170KWHRs (room temps are typically in the low to mid 50s at night).

If my math is correct ($33 worth of electricity @ $0.18 per KWHr = 183KWHRs), I'm basically using the same amount of energy as you to heat 5 times the amount of water.

Is your tank covered? If not, a tight fitting lid will reduce quite a bit of heat loss. Insulating (even if it's just the back panel) would also help. I use 1.5" polystyrene insulation and it works great.

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
Thanks for posting.
This is my next order of business for my 500. I keep my tank in the garage. I keep the thermostat on 55 and the tank with 1200 watts set on 80*. I estimate the heaters are costing $35. a month rite now and it hasn't been below freezing yet.

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
Very interesting. What are the changes that would need to be made if you have a tankless water heater servicing your house as opposed to a traditional tank style water heater?

Cicho

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Bergen County, NJ
Very interesting. What are the changes that would need to be made if you have a tankless water heater servicing your house as opposed to a traditional tank style water heater?
The problems I see with this are as follows:

The domestic hot water will be returning to the tankless heater still at warm to hot temperatures. This may cause the tankless heater to short cycle on and off which would not be a very efficient way to operate the unit.

Now if you could get a large enough heat exchanger and have enough tank water running through it to absorb the thermal energy you may be able to return cool enough water to the tankless heater that it would be able to function properly by using it's turn down function.

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
The problems I see with this are as follows:

The domestic hot water will be returning to the tankless heater still at warm to hot temperatures. This may cause the tankless heater to short cycle on and off which would not be a very efficient way to operate the unit.

Now if you could get a large enough heat exchanger and have enough tank water running through it to absorb the thermal energy you may be able to return cool enough water to the tankless heater that it would be able to function properly by using it's turn down function.
Kind of what I was thinking. I think I would have to design a stand-alone unit which would pretty much negate the idea that you've started with. For those with water tank heaters this is a wonderful idea though. Great work.

Cicho

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Bergen County, NJ
Just an update on this system:

I drained this heating system in the summer since active heating was not required. When I went to turn the heating system back on this fall, my check valve was stuck shut which prevented the hot water from the heater from circulating through my heat exchanger. I removed the check valve and now the system works fine except for one detail. Since there is hot water on one side of the system and cold water on the other, the system now has some flow without the pump being active due to convection.

The hot water naturally wants to rise out of the hot water heater and the cold water in my loop wants to drop into the bottom of the hot water heater. What this means is that the system is now always providing some quantity of heat to the tank. So far this heat leak is not enough to cause the tank water to elevate on its own accord, but it likely just slows the temperature drop or loss to some non-discernible level.

Other than that the system heats my 150g tank excellently for pennies a day compared to dollars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store