Heating my tank with Natural Gas

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
That actually looks like a decent alternative for me as well. I've been through a few heaters due to fish tampering. I figured I'd solve that with a sump but then again, why spend the money on the heaters if I can run pipe to my water heater and use it instead? I don't have a water bill anyway because I live on a plot. I might as well enjoy my water heater a little more with something like this. Is the build very difficult? A whole lot of us try it yet?

Cicho

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Bergen County, NJ
Just so you know this setup would not impact your water usage since you are just borrowing the water and returning it to the hot water heater. We are just using the water as a medium to transport thermal energy from a natural gas source rather than use electricity.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
Oh! I thought it ran off after getting used. I still think I'd have a chance at saving money with this. I don't think a little extra work for my water heater would raise my electric bill quite as much as some tank heaters.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Nice!

I built a DIY heat exchanger for my automatic water change system, I use the outgoing warm wastewater to preheat the incoming fresh water from my well. I used a copper coil, but otherwise it is pretty similar design.

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
Nice!

I built a DIY heat exchanger for my automatic water change system, I use the outgoing warm wastewater to preheat the incoming fresh water from my well. I used a copper coil, but otherwise it is pretty similar design.
Sounds sweet. You got a link to some more details?

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store