Sperata sp. grow out thread.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Hi everyone. I just got my Sperata yesterday. I ordered the fish as sperata aor, but cannot be certain this is the correct species although it is obvious that this is the correct genus. It does have the black spot on the adipose, and flatened elongated head as well. I ordered this fish about a week before Christmas and was told that I would need to pay now and would have to wait until after the new year to get it shipped. Needless to say I had to wait nearly a month to get my new fish after forking out some $$$$ for it. I was expecting an awesome fish in great condition. The fish I got is fine, but noticeably thin, and has some issues with his caudal fin. It is shreaded. Not sure if this happened before shipment or after shipment. Also it was shipped UPS. I will from now on request that all my fish get shipped via fedex early morning. Did this with the other fish and they came in perfect. I have no clue how this fish survive his journey to be honest. This is a 6" fish as I measured it, and it was shipped in a 5" box!!! It was curled into a "C" inside the very thin bags. and stuffed into the box. The box was packed with paper, and taped shut. Well being in this small space the fish punctured the bags and most of the water and air leaked out. The bag was deflated pretty much when I got it open at home. Some how the fish was still alive so I started it on a drip in a bucket, but there wasn't enough water left to put him in so had to use more tank water initially than I wanted to. After he was acclimated I added him to my 100 gal. Big mistake!!! When he swam beside my vulture catfish I thought for sure he was going to be devoured! The Vulture is pushing 12" now, and this guy looked very tiny next to him. The Vulture left him alone, and thank goodness the Vulture has a smaller, but yet powerful mouth compared to most Pimelodid catfish. When he swam to the Flathead though I could tell I would have to move him. The flathead is only about 1.5-2" longer than this guy, but has like 5x the bulk and his head is 3x as wide as this fish. He would have been eaten last night for sure had I left him. Anyway I moved him to my 30 gal. It will have to work in the short term. I was expecting he might die of stress after all this so I added some salt to the tank he is in, also to help with the fins a bit as well. I dropped in some shrimp pellets for the other fish in the tank and wham!!! He took them after being in there less than 2 mins!!! What a fish! He had a full belly in less than 5 mins after being added to this tank. Now I hope I can keep him fed enough that he won't eat the banjos lol. He is a voracious eater. I'd so more so than my vulture catfish for sure! Strikes pellets lightning quick after just a few mins in the tank. Unbelievable!! What a monster. Hopefully I can figure out which species this is in the future though.

DSCF4135.JPG

DSCF4136.JPG

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
[video=youtube;eLeoGdDd-Ow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLeoGdDd-Ow[/video]

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Yeeees! You know I've been waiting for this Thread :)
I know now why fish only get shipped by certain companies.. He was lucky to have made it!
What kind of growth rate are you expecting for this fish?

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk App

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks for the write up. I too am much surprised he is alive and I am utterly dismayed at how fast he started feeding. The seller must have starved him before shipping. The packing sounds terrible - looks like the seller is trying to ship for as cheap as possible but hard to understand how it can all work because DOA occurences sure increase when some one takes such risks routinely. Or, maybe they normally ship smaller fishes and he was unusually big but they didn't wanna adjust their packing and shipping ways and took a chance this once.

What did you pay for him? 3"-ers are cheap - $10-$15 on the east coast.

As we discussed before, mine was a superb, unfussiest eater (sounds like yours is too) but very slow grower, maybe from 3" to 5"-6" in a year.

I'd very much like to know what growth rates other keepers observed on the genus (any species or suspected species).

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
As we discussed before, mine was a superb, unfussiest eater (sounds like yours is too) but very slow grower, maybe from 3" to 5"-6" in a year.

I'd very much like to know what growth rates other keepers observed on the genus (any species or suspected species).
2" in a year? I get that these are slow growers but for a species potentially reaching 50" this seems abnormally slow.
+1 on the need for growth info. I alsp still want to see some large ones. I've only seen big ones in private aquaria 3 or 4 times.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
C: 2" in a year? I get that these are slow growers but for a species potentially reaching 50" this seems abnormally slow.
TBTB: Yeap.

C: I also still want to see some large ones. I've only seen big ones in private aquaria 3 or 4 times.
TBTB: You mean live or pics? Never seen a big one live or in aquaria pics from a private owner.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Wow that is extremely slow. Makes me wonder how long they can live.
I mean in pics although if I remember correctly my local zoo has a large-ish (probably 25") one in with some pangasius. Large sperata are for some reason extremely rare in captivity.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
C: 2" in a year? I get that these are slow growers but for a species potentially reaching 50" this seems abnormally slow.
TBTB: Yeap.
I meant that, yes, it seems abnormally slow - hence, I don't trust what I observed with my one fish and would like to hear from others.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I like the info coming through here. :) I am going to keep close tabs on this one so that we can all learn. It will eventually go into the 100 gal once the Vulture and flathead are in the pond. If the growth truly is that slow I can actually believe it. It is almost amazing that about 50% of the really large species of catfish seem to have extremely slow growth rates compared to others of a similar size and environment. Also when you read accounts of how fast the grow on fish farms, and in the wild you start to wonder what you are doing wrong. Especially if the fish is eating like this one is. I'd say he already rivals the vulture for his size. Extremely fast metabolism as well. His belly was well poked out when I left for work today and upon returning it was empty again. :) here is a pic with a semi full belly from this morning. At least there is no hunger strike with this little guy. It is a solid 6" on the tape, including tail. Tail is pretty long so just about 4.5" without tail. Sad thing is his tail must have dried out during shipment. It was tattered when I put him in the tank yesterday and today almost the entire top caudal fin lobe is missing. Hopefully I can stave off an infection and get it to grow back out. Looks like from pics that these fish have incredibly beautiful tails. So far no aggression at all to the way smaller fish in his tank. He is currently (to my dismay) housed with two 2.5-3" banjo catfish(seems they are too wid for him to swallow efficiently right now), as well as two 1.5-2" plecos. Plecos aren't a huge loss at $1.50 each at the petco here, but really want to keep them around for some diversity and to keep the algae off this tank lol. Also will be looking for a common pleco to trim the garden in the 100 lol. They have some like 6-8" at petco.

I will leave the name of company I ordered from out of this thread. If anyone is thinking of getting one pm me and I'll give you a head's up. I am sure they were trying to save a lot on shipping, but that was kind of crazy. When I saw the box I was like there's no way that a 6-7" catfish is in there. Felt really light as well. BTW got him to take some thawed shrimp tonight as well. This guy has quit the appetite. I'll see if I can't get some growth out of him. Being kept on the higher end on temps also. He's at 79 F right now. So long as he acts fine I will continue this temp. Does anyone have info on them at higher temps like 80+? Hopefully I can get this guy fattened up very quickly. I know they are a thinner genus anyway, but this one seems very thin.

Not the greatest pic but shows a happy full belly at least.

DSCF4156.JPG

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
oh btw the price was $75 for shipping!!!! Seems outrageous lol. Fish was I think $40.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store