Sperata sp. grow out thread.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
$75 for shipping alone? and it came in the usps box?

For $75 you would imagine airport to airport shipping.
I think I paid $65 from the same city different seller, ap to ap, with much larger catfish in a larger box. I think I will have to demand ap to ap or fed ex early morning delivery from now on. Just silly and ups is hard to work with. It came in a tiny box via UPS. As much as I dislike UPS I really can't stand USPS lol. I honestly don't think you're supposed to ship fish via UPS anyway lol, big sign in there that says no live animals.

mike_sema

Hail Hogs
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
HOT Water
I think I paid $65 from the same city different seller, ap to ap, with much larger catfish in a larger box. I think I will have to demand ap to ap or fed ex early morning delivery from now on. Just silly and ups is hard to work with. It came in a tiny box via UPS. As much as I dislike UPS I really can't stand USPS lol. I honestly don't think you're supposed to ship fish via UPS anyway lol, big sign in there that says no live animals.
do you mind pm me about ho you got that from,bc that is just a horrible story.I ask also bc you said same city as your last catfish I am assuming the amazing flathead you got from me:D

sent from work

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I kept mine at the typical 75-78 F.

@Eklikewhoa: USPS is a governmental postal service. UPS is a private shipping giant, actually wordwide and far bigger than FedEx (FedEx is mostly air-based shipping; UPS covers air and ground too).

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
do you mind pm me about ho you got that from,bc that is just a horrible story.I ask also bc you said same city as your last catfish I am assuming the amazing flathead you got from me:D

sent from work
Not your city lol, :) I'll send a pm though. Guess it was the fish before last!!!

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
[video=youtube;k4aDjGNO81I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4aDjGNO81I[/video]

in the 30

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
[video=youtube;6C1Iqp8UY9E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C1Iqp8UY9E[/video]

eating right away

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
http://www.academia.edu/638534/Eval...es_in_Polyculture_with_Indigenous_Major_Carps

here is an interesting link on the growth rate of S. seenghala. Seems that this species can grow from 8 grams to 359 grams in a matter of 10 months. I'd say that is not very slow imo. seems about right for a fish that gets huge. That's .01 pounds to .79 pounds in a 10 month period. Not the best growth ever in a catfish but not as slow as many have expirienced in this genus in aquariums.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice find!

Not the best growth ever in a catfish but not as slow as many have expirienced in this genus in aquariums.
Who are the "many"? Have you gotten more info than my one sorry data point?

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Nice find!

Who are the "many"? Have you gotten more info than my one sorry data point?
many as in compared to the few that I have actually found that report such things lol. Just various fish keeping websites reading over random people's threads about their sperata. I've been trying to find some evidence of controlled study growth rates in this genus and so far that's the only one I could find.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store