German Ram Help - They Always Die

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
I have tried so many times to keep german rams in my 100g planted community tank. Ive tried with around 9 individuals at different time periods, they all died eventually. 1 lived 2-3 months, another electric blue lived 4 months but both eventually died. I had 2 spawn for me and lay around 60 eggs, then i woke up and the male is dead. Then the female died a week later. Of the 9, 3 were electric blue, 1 was a gigantic balloon ram, biggest i have ever seen, 2 were beautiful longfins, 1 was a nice big male (laid eggs) with 2 females, 1 of those females died within 24 hours and the other outlived the male a week.

I havent tried again for a long time. Its been 2 months.

*I was wondering if cockatoo cichlids or any appistogramma sp were easier?

No bolivian rams, btw.

Ph is 6.4
no ammonia or nitrite
Nitrates ~20 ppm
Lots of live plants and pothos

icefreeze57

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
New Jersey
No meaning you don't want any? Because IMO they look VERY similar. The Germans have the blue in them but without that they are pretty much the same. And Bolivians are more hardy.

ErnieG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2012
Maryland
The germans look better in my opinion, Bolivians have bigger eyes they look weird but they are hardy. Try the gold variety the are surprisingly hardy as well, do you know how old they were when you got them because rams have short life or 2.5-3years.

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
No meaning you don't want any? Because IMO they look VERY similar. The Germans have the blue in them but without that they are pretty much the same. And Bolivians are more hardy.
Ehhhhh... i guess maybe. If i get a 'no go' for the appistogramma it'll have to be these or those other dwarf cichlids. I cant remember the name, they have those rosy pink bellies and colorful tails... oh well..

Im updating my facespace page ;)

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
I think that you mean Kribensis. They are african riverine cichlids.

icefreeze57

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah I think your talking about Kribs, IMO any of the Rams look a lot better than Kribs. While I agree the Blues and Golds look better the Bolivian are much more hardy. I think the Golds are hardy than the blues, I was actually at the LFS today (not shopping for Rams but I did see some) and the guy said Blues and Golds are easy to kill, esp compared to Bolivians.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store