German Ram Help - They Always Die

icefreeze57

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
New Jersey
From my understanding Apistos aren't that hard to keep, though I've personally never kept them.

Edit: Thats general Apistos, I know nothing in particular about Cockatoos

pjsammut

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2011
Malbourne Australia
Blue rams require excellent water chemistry. I've had 2 for the last 3 years and they are going great.
Look to your water conditions and you'll get your answer.
Apistios are about the same as rams in my opinion.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
Yea i was reading that they have become very hard to keep due to the inbreeding in asia and the sudden wanting of deformities such as gold and blue which are destabilizing their genetic material. Unraveling nature the 1st hand view into the industry.

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
Germans can be weaker due to inbreeding as you've stated, but kept in a planted tank with 0 nitrates (as "heavily" planted tanks should be) then they should breed for you almost weekly, which can be straining on health. Apistos basically have the same care as rams, but a lot less available. My lfs got some cockatoos and sp. "red" in and they looked awesome. Bolivians are more like geos, I keep both ram species.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
You seem like a good fish keeper beacause you have kept discuss alive... I have heard that they are VERY sensative...

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
You seem like a good fish keeper beacause you have kept discuss alive... I have heard that they are VERY sensative...
This is a very common misconception. Discus are very, very easy to keep. I would bet 20$ mine would survive in a toilet for their entire lives. Its amazing how hardy they are. They truly are rats, perhaps even more adaptable than rats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store