Big tank vs Small tank

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
What tank size do you feel is easier to manage as far as water quality?

I feel that tanks under 300g are harder mainly because cichlas are messy fish and without the volume your filter can't miss a beat. With larger tanks I feel they are more forgiving. Water changes still exist but cichlas are less likely to get sick.

What do you think?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Bigger the better/easier to an extent. 1,000 and up are far easier to maintain than 300-500. I have to disagree tho as i think tanks 10-200 gal. Are pretty easy to maintain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tomka123

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2013
burlington, nc
In regards to larger tanks I am new to them. I have some questions about what to expect. I have a 300G black sand on the bottom, so I have been cleaning with a siphon once a week & it seems easy enough because most of the crap gathers in the 2 bottom corners. The tank & the wet/dry (50G) have been doing just fine. What other cleaning should I expect to be doing and how often (i.e. how often will I have to clean decorations & side walls of the acrylic? I ask because with smaller tanks it is pretty easy, but it seems like a much bigger job with the larger ones. Plus, with the acrylic top & the height of my tank being 30 inches, it is tough to really get down in there to clean it!

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
I'd have to agree w/ ya there Ken. But it also depends on stocking levels.

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
What tank size do you feel is easier to manage as far as water quality?

I feel that tanks under 300g are harder mainly because cichlas are messy fish and without the volume your filter can't miss a beat. With larger tanks I feel they are more forgiving. Water changes still exist but cichlas are less likely to get sick.

What do you think?
Lots of variables in that question tho will the stocking be just as dense???? is your filtration up to the task????Being prepared instead of just dealing with what comes is a far better mind set for sure!!!

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
So what you guys are saying is maintaining smaller tanks are easy and I have to agree. Vacuuming or WC is a lot quicker on small tanks but as a few mentioned stocking plays a factor.
My experience is if you go too long between WC or over feed you're going to see it in your fish. Where as fish in ponds don't feel it as much.
Growouts are fine in almost any tank, its when they get to 8"-10" and producing a lot of waste. Yes, if you got 10 or more in a tank you'll definitely see it. For those growing out cichlas, keep an eye on your fish for HITH, sudden darkening, hiding and lack of appetite. Almost alway linked to water quality.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
My nano is great I just take a big cup of water out every night to remove surface scum, and add a cup of new water which is about 5% daily change, and I've never have better water parameters. That being said my old 500g's water chemistry wouldn't change much at all regardless of what happened, once found a 13" clown knife in an overflow box mostly decomposed and it never threw off the parameters, but a dead tetra in 6g will screw it all up

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Oops didn't notice this in the cichla forum... Prob not growing bass long in a 11" cube...

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
I have 700 gallons divided between five tanks at the moment. It SUCKS. I suspect the single 1000 gallon tank will be much less work. Really, it all comes down to your filtration in terms of which is more or less work.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Bigger tanks 600+ are more forgiving on issues like late water changes and over feeding. As far as maintainance little tank is way easier. It faster with water change and easier to reach the bottom of the tank compared to a 30" height tank. I find it more enjoyable keeping one cichla to a tank. This way I don't have to deal with them fighting all day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store