Big tank vs Small tank

aceface562

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2011
Los Angeles
What tank size do you feel is easier to manage as far as water quality?

I feel that tanks under 300g are harder mainly because cichlas are messy fish and without the volume your filter can't miss a beat. With larger tanks I feel they are more forgiving. Water changes still exist but cichlas are less likely to get sick.

What do you think?
Based on my experience, I believe larger water volume is easier to maintain and good filtration seems to be the best solution. I've grown out fishes in a 120 and 225 gallon but needed constant wc to keep water pristine. I now have a 450 gallon with a 135 gal k1 sump and two fx5 running (fx5 will be replaced with your glass filter) in which I do wc once a week. Water stays pretty clean through out the week with the amount of food I feed daily.

Once my cichlas grow out to 8-9" I know the glass filter will have to be installed. I more than likely will hAve another setup if I keep all these cichlas recently purchased. I'm sick in the head lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lemarj

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2011
DC
My 180 has been a great grow out.tank for me. The only problem I had was water quality due to over feeding. So instead of throwing pellets in and walking away,I feed them slowly until all of the food is gone and extra food is just floating around.

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store