Cycling

evox53187

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2013
il
Hey guys having some problems. I thought my tank was fully cycled. All my readings were 0 for about 2 weeks. Now my ammonia is at 0.50 nitrite 0 nitrate 5. What could cause this. I have a 125 gallon tank with a hw304b canister filter. I just added 2 more filters about a week ago 2 emperor 400s. Could that have caused my tank to cycle again. I am lost on this one. Going to do a water change now to help.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
What about temp? Dumb question I know. But I heard that if you cycle a tank in cold water ( because there's no fish), then add fish and heat, the cycle can change.
Maybe someone can verify that?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

evox53187

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2013
il
82. I have had this tank up and running with fish for about 4 months now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
there's a few ways a new filter in addition to your already established filter could cause an ammonia spike.

there was something on it that caused your established bacteria to die. did you clean off the new filters and media before adding?
they could have sucked up food and now that food is rotting and you don't have enough bacteria to cover it.

it's also possible you just got a pocket of ammonia. try testing again in another section of the tank.

rkscwh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2012
West Haven, CT
I've been warned that adding a new filter to a tank can create a mini cycle. you said you added two!!! If you are concerned conduct a 40% water change every other day for over the next 5 days and don't feed your fish for the 5 days. It give the bacteria time to build up again without creating more waste from feeding.

rkscwh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2012
West Haven, CT
Also NEVER deep vaccum a sand substrate it will destroy your bacteria. I forgot this rule and deep vaccumed my sand and had to employ the 5 day process I mentioned earlier. ONLY skim the vaccum allong the surface of the sand.

evox53187

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2013
il
yea I do have sand. and I do 20 percent wc every week. I just remembered that I haven't cleaned my canister filter in while could that be it. probably around 3 months now. could that be it

rkscwh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2012
West Haven, CT
Try the 40% water change every other day for the next five days and dont vacuum the sand or feed the fish. This will quickly remove the ammonia that can be harmful to your fish, and decrease the bio load while the bacteria has a chance to develop. I did this when my test vial was a solid green and 5 days later it was a light yellow (.0 ppm). I changed the feeding to every other day and a 25% water change every 2 weeks. Its been a month with no spikes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
Also NEVER deep vaccum a sand substrate it will destroy your bacteria. I forgot this rule and deep vaccumed my sand and had to employ the 5 day process I mentioned earlier. ONLY skim the vaccum allong the surface of the sand.
sorry to tell you, but this is not true.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store