Cycling

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
sorry to tell you, but this is not true.
agreed, the bacteria deep under the sand is not the same as that in your filter.

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
nope, allot a folks run no substrate. makes no dif on your bio filters, clean your filters in tank water. use prime dosed for tank size not water you are replacing and all should be good, adding more filtration will not put you in a mini cycle. adding more fish will put you in a mini cycle per say if its a large enough bio load addition.

rkscwh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2012
West Haven, CT
but if your tank has been operating with a combination of filter and substrate bacteria and you remove one of them wouldn't that create a spike

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
I've been warned that adding a new filter to a tank can create a mini cycle. you said you added two!!! If you are concerned conduct a 40% water change every other day for over the next 5 days and don't feed your fish for the 5 days. It give the bacteria time to build up again without creating more waste from feeding.
Why would adding a new filter create a mini cycle on an established tank? Never heard of this

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
but if your tank has been operating with a combination of filter and substrate bacteria and you remove one of them wouldn't that create a spike

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Any major change to any system can create spikes if not handled correctly. Removing anything that houses bio (which is everything in an aquarium) can cause a spike. Pulling too much driftwood can create a spike if your not careful. That being said, I vacuum all the way to the glass and never have issues.

Op may be a little on the low side filtration wise for a 125. Did you just clean it or you haven't yet?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store