New Species in the Trade

nancyw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2011
moncton
Figured I would do a little poll/discussion and get some opinions.What new animal or rare animal (currently only available very rarely or occasionally) species would you like to see more of/greater availability of in the pet trade? It can be anything mammal, fish, reptile,bird, amphibian ect. Thoughts?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Coconut crab,Murray River and Tasmanian Giant Crayfish...as for mammals,I'd like to see some of the smaller wild cats such as ocelots captive bred for the trade.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
^ oh wow it never occurred to me to keep one of those massive spiny monster crays in a tank that would be nuts!

I'd love to see more tentacled snakes, ackies monitor lizards (may not be spelled right) , more bichirs captivley bred for quality not quantity, polypterus retropinnis in general haha Ive never found one for sale in the 5 years I've been keeping fish

As far as mammals or other warm blooded things, I've always wished humans had domesticated foxes to the level of dogs... or at least close to it haha more hedgehogs!!! Barely anywhere sells them around here.. I literally only know of one place and they don't have them all the time. I'd love to keep a nice little hedgey, I've came close to buying a setup for them many times but always opted to up the fish game haha

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
is it a rare species of puffer? Never seen a puffer with this exclusive coloration before. I did a quick skim through the web and one was for sale for $2500.
Yeah, cross river puffers seem to be among one of the rarest puffers... I've never seen one in person before, but every time i have seen them being offered for sale online they seem to come with a hefty price tag of $2000 and up...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
^ oh wow it never occurred to me to keep one of those massive spiny monster crays in a tank that would be nuts!

I'd love to see more tentacled snakes, ackies monitor lizards (may not be spelled right) , more bichirs captivley bred for quality not quantity, polypterus retropinnis in general haha Ive never found one for sale in the 5 years I've been keeping fish

As far as mammals or other warm blooded things, I've always wished humans had domesticated foxes to the level of dogs... or at least close to it haha more hedgehogs!!! Barely anywhere sells them around here.. I literally only know of one place and they don't have them all the time. I'd love to keep a nice little hedgey, I've came close to buying a setup for them many times but always opted to up the fish game haha

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Ackies are getting more mainstream in the trade as for my experience. during the summer I was offered some red ackies for 190 bucks each which is the fraction of the price they usually sell for. I regularly see them for sale in reptile expos. They are indeed my favourite lizard/monitor.

Tentacle snakes are cool snakes. yet to see one. lol you should see the retropinnis they are selling in Canada. 10 inch wild specimens for 40 bucks!

nancyw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2011
moncton
Here is a top ten list for me.

1. Rubber Boas-I have heard a lot of good things about them, only ever heard of one gentleman who keeps them in Ontario, no availability at all around here. They would be a way for someone to keep a constrictor without the massive size of some of the boas and Pythons. Hardy and wild populations are generally healthy so there would be little threat to them from there increased presence in the trade.Seem like a cool little snake.

2. Rosy Bitterlings- Lots of people in our area who would like to try them but no availability.Colorful and seem like a nice little fish for coldwater aquariums. Seem liek something which might be good with Goldfish.

3.Dormice-Very popular as pets overseas. They would be great for someone who has tried rats, mice, degu, hamsters ect. and wants to try something new. I've never seen any availability in North America.

4.Nautilus- I have read on the internet it can be very challenging to keep and I would like to see Wild populations stabilized and increased more before it shows up in the trade in greater numbers. With that said if we could develop some kind of captive breeding program to supply the trade and increase our knowledge of of its husbandry and keeping then it could be a fascinating species to have. Great for people who like a bit of a challenge, low to practically non-existent invasive risk and a fascinating shell and life history.

5. Patagonian Sierra Finch-Never heard about them in the pet trade at all. Wild population is healthy, very nice bright color, eat a wide variety of foods. Seem like they would be a great fit.

6. Steppe Lemming- Only ever heard of one spot in Ontario to get them. Popular pet overseas, very tame and entertaining creature to keep.

7. Wall Lizards-Popular overseas, easy to care for, very tame and easy to handle.

8.Golden Orfe- Have never been able to find any around here. Seem like a great fish for outdoor setups or to keep with Goldfish.

9. Monito del Monte-Doesn't seem to be present at all but not endangered in the wild and seems like something which could really appeal to people who like Chinchillas and Sugar Gliders.

10. Tuatara- I include this depending on the recovery/increase of the current population and ability of captive breeding to lower any potential risk to the wild populations. With that said I think both are feasible so possibly someday they could be included on allowable species lists and captive bred for the trade. It is a decent sized reptile. hardy and was around before the Dinosaurs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store