New Species in the Trade

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Here is a top ten list for me.

1. Rubber Boas-I have heard a lot of good things about them, only ever heard of one gentleman who keeps them in Ontario, no availability at all around here. They would be a way for someone to keep a constrictor without the massive size of some of the boas and Pythons. Hardy and wild populations are generally healthy so there would be little threat to them from there increased presence in the trade.Seem like a cool little snake.

2. Rosy Bitterlings- Lots of people in our area who would like to try them but no availability.Colorful and seem like a nice little fish for coldwater aquariums. Seem liek something which might be good with Goldfish.

3.Dormice-Very popular as pets overseas. They would be great for someone who has tried rats, mice, degu, hamsters ect. and wants to try something new. I've never seen any availability in North America.

4.Nautilus- I have read on the internet it can be very challenging to keep and I would like to see Wild populations stabilized and increased more before it shows up in the trade in greater numbers. With that said if we could develop some kind of captive breeding program to supply the trade and increase our knowledge of of its husbandry and keeping then it could be a fascinating species to have. Great for people who like a bit of a challenge, low to practically non-existent invasive risk and a fascinating shell and life history.

5. Patagonian Sierra Finch-Never heard about them in the pet trade at all. Wild population is healthy, very nice bright color, eat a wide variety of foods. Seem like they would be a great fit.

6. Steppe Lemming- Only ever heard of one spot in Ontario to get them. Popular pet overseas, very tame and entertaining creature to keep.

7. Wall Lizards-Popular overseas, easy to care for, very tame and easy to handle.

8.Golden Orfe- Have never been able to find any around here. Seem like a great fish for outdoor setups or to keep with Goldfish.

9. Monito del Monte-Doesn't seem to be present at all but not endangered in the wild and seems like something which could really appeal to people who like Chinchillas and Sugar Gliders.

10. Tuatara- I include this depending on the recovery/increase of the current population and ability of captive breeding to lower any potential risk to the wild populations. With that said I think both are feasible so possibly someday they could be included on allowable species lists and captive bred for the trade. It is a decent sized reptile. hardy and was around before the Dinosaurs.
Rubber boas definitely are pretty neat! I actually caught one once when I was camping when I was a little kid. Pretty neat boas especially since they can tolerate cooler temps, actually, they thrive in cooler temps.

I would have to disagree with the nautilus. I feel that they are not meant to be kept in captivity unless you have a specialized tank for them because I have seen way too many in lfs's down here and it makes me sad seeing these extremely cold water species being kept in tropical environments. They're always swimming around crashing into stuff trying to escape the warm water and they usually die within a few months at the lfs cuz their price is pretty extreme when I see them and nobody buys them. There's a cool article about them in an old issue of TFH. I forget how old but it's at least a few years ago I read it.

I agree that the tuatara would be such a sick animal to keep! I hope to one day just see a live one. I doubt we'll be able to keep them legally any time in our lifetimes because they are so endangered.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Rubber boas definitely are pretty neat! I actually caught one once when I was camping when I was a little kid. Pretty neat boas especially since they can tolerate cooler temps, actually, they thrive in cooler temps.

I would have to disagree with the nautilus. I feel that they are not meant to be kept in captivity unless you have a specialized tank for them because I have seen way too many in lfs's down here and it makes me sad seeing these extremely cold water species being kept in tropical environments. They're always swimming around crashing into stuff trying to escape the warm water and they usually die within a few months at the lfs cuz their price is pretty extreme when I see them and nobody buys them. There's a cool article about them in an old issue of TFH. I forget how old but it's at least a few years ago I read it.

I agree that the tuatara would be such a sick animal to keep! I hope to one day just see a live one. I doubt we'll be able to keep them legally any time in our lifetimes because they are so endangered.

Where were you camping? lol

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Where were you camping? lol
I don't remember. It was like 16 years ago at a summer camp up in the mountains when I was in cub scouts. They were pretty surprised when my friends and I came back to the camp site with it cuz they said it was the first time anyone's found one since they're nocturnal and hide pretty well.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't buy fish just because they are rare,that means nothing to me,but the fish that I like happen to be rare.I'd rather they weren't,they'd be cheaper lol....Japanese perch are around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store