There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza...

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
So I've got one bucket that I've been using as a reservoir for two MistKings pumps. I'd planned on adding two more to the same bucket (don't think this should be a problem, mechanically) and after drilling and inserting the bulkheads and siliconing them up, I'm finding that they leak. Initially they leaked a bunch, but then I thickened up the silicon around the inside of the bucket (there's now like a 1/2'' ring of silicon around them) and they slowed down to a sort of drip leak.

I haven't had this problem in the past, but both of my new holes are similarly leaky. Think that using a different (but same size) drill bit may have messed up the holes a little.

I used standard aquarium silicone from my LFS but I'm thinking I need to strip that away and maybe try a different product.

I've got tubes of Lexel from building my Animal Plastics cages, and while I think that would probably work very well, Lexel hasn't been officially tested completely submerged for long periods of time (although anecdotal evidence says it should be fine), and it leeches toxic chemicals. Letting it cure for a couple of weeks would likely fix this problem, and I suspect that the amount of leeching into the water that is then misted probably wouldn't affect any of my reptiles.

Any advice for other products or methods for sealing my leak? Accidentally misspelling Lexel has led me to think that Lexan might be a better option than standard aquarium silicon. Would love any advice, as this has been frustrating me for over two weeks now.

Thanks!

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Nothing to help I'm sorry but I love spearhead and Franti. Great thread topic

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Not much will really stick to polyethylene, but "Plumber's Goop" might work better than silicone.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Not much will really stick to polyethylene, but "Plumber's Goop" might work better than silicone.
That stuff is chemically safe, I'd assume? I mean if you're gonna use it on a sink you drink out of I'd sort of assume so.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
putty and lexel.jpg

Is this the wrong kind of plumbers' goop? Seems like it might be too hard for a plastic bucket. Also, here is the Lexel stuff I'm considering using.

putty and lexel.jpg

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
Is the fast curing type any worse? Any reason not to use it in this case?
Its the same exact product, just cures faster. I used this ti build my 1000g pondliner plywood tank. I highly recommend this product. Its a marine sealant do itll last/and so fine submerged.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Its the same exact product, just cures faster. I used this ti build my 1000g pondliner plywood tank. I highly recommend this product. Its a marine sealant do itll last/and so fine submerged.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Much thanks. Ordered some right after your post yesterday.

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
Try using uniseals instead of normal bulkheads. They work great on buckets and barrels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store