Need help with my wc polys not eating

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
This started a few months ago. I have a wc ansorgii ~12" and a black volta endli ~10". I received these guys from JA sometime in January this year. The BV was 4" and the ansorgii was 7" and until recently, they've been hogs when it comes to eating. They would always look like they were about to explode. But a few months ago they both suddenly stopped for about a month. There were no changes done to the tank at all, I did regular weakly 70-90% wc's and they are the only fish in a 50g. Temp is ~84.5F, ammonia and nitrite are both 0 and nitrates have never gone above 10ppm. Filtration is done by an ac110, fluval xp3 and DIY k1 moving filter using a 2L soda bottle. Extremely overkill on the filtration, I know. When they started eating again, it was barely anything at all and still is. I still haven't even seen them eat. I have to throw the tilapia in and leave it overnight, only a few pieces, and only some of it will be gone. What could be wrong with them? The ansorgii definitely has lost some weight but not dangerously thin at all. Just thinner than it used to be cuz it used to be extremely fat. All advice is appreciated and if you guys need anymore info just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
What's the footprint of the tank? What are you feeding?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
48"x15" and I've been feeding tilapia, smelt, shrimp and massivore. They used to go crazy for everything. Now they don't even hunt for it even after starving for 2 weeks.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
They may be feeling a little too smug. I would suggest throwing some earthworms in and see if they go for it. To be completely honest I have no idea why I am suggesting this, other than I feel like for some reason it'll work.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I'll give it a shot. I'm starting to think it has something to do with my city's water because when it started, ALL my fish stopped eating suddenly including the crazy eaters like my H. armatus and aba aba knife.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
You wouldn't by chance have any recorded water test results or anything before they stopped eating?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store