How Hot Will Your City Become?

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
In Norway these couple of last days, it's been unbelievable.

Temperatures have passed 30 Celsius, and we usually hope for mid 20's and even that used to be optimistic.

And for the last 10 winters or so, it snows for shorter periods, but heavy but it goes away rather quickly.
I don't like snow and I don't mind the great weather, but it just doesn't feel right or normal.

The penguins at our local "aquarium/zoo" are suffering because of this.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Once again the experts screw up.

I clicked on it(July 18th) and entered my city(Austin). It said current temp was 92 and in 100 years the temp will be 103. This does sound scary but let's back up and GET ALL THE FACTS. Over the last 30 years there has been over 20 times that on July 18th it was over 100 degrees.

Because of it actually cooling right now we have experienced a low temp of 92 right in the middle of our hottest time.

3-4 years ago we experienced part of May, all of June, all of July, all of August and part of September with temp 100 and above...wow that's hot.(we also had record cold that winter).

Last year We didn't hit 100 until about mid June and even had a few below 100 in July.

This year we have NOT even had 1 day above 100...not 1 day and July is almost over. This is the coolest summer ever. So if the link is saying the in 100 years it will return to what it was 3 years ago... I'm fine with that(it called Global Cycling).

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Funny how a bi-partisan group led by Former Fed Chairman Hank Paulson recently came to the conclusion that the economic risks of climate change represent a major threat to the US: http://riskybusiness.org/report/overview/executive-summary

The U.S. faces significant and diverse economic risks from climate change. The signature effects of human-induced climate change—rising seas, increased damage from storm surge, more frequent bouts of extreme heat—all have specific, measurable impacts on our nation’s current assets and ongoing economic activity.

To date, there has been no comprehensive assessment of the economic risks our nation faces from the changing climate. Risky Business: The Economic Risks of Climate Change to the United States uses a standard risk-assessment approach to determine the range of potential consequences for each region of the U.S.—as well as for selected sectors of the economy—if we continue on our current path. The Risky Business research focused on the clearest and most economically significant of these risks: Damage to coastal property and infrastructure from rising sea levels and increased storm surge, climate-driven changes in agricultural production and energy demand, and the impact of higher temperatures on labor productivity and public health.

Our research combines peer-reviewed climate science projections through the year 2100 with empirically-derived estimates of the impact of projected changes in temperature, precipitation, sea levels, and storm activity on the U.S. economy. We analyze not only those outcomes most likely to occur, but also lower-probability high-cost climate futures. Unlike any other study to date, we also provide geographic granularity for the impacts we quantify, in some cases providing county-level results.

Our findings show that, if we continue on our current path, many regions of the U.S. face the prospect of serious economic effects from climate change. However, if we choose a different path—if we act aggressively to both adapt to the changing climate and to mitigate future impacts by reducing carbon emissions—we can significantly reduce our exposure to the worst economic risks from climate change, and also demonstrate global leadership on climate.

Matt

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I hope it doesn't get much hotter, yesterday when I got in my car the temp read 118. It did drop to 114 after a few minutes of driving.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
How do you guys cope with the temperature if the tanks get to hot?

Is it safe to put ice cubes in the tank?

I'm struggling to keep my tank at the proper temp, I'm right at the limit of what is good for them.

I also don't pour ice cold water during water changes, try to keep the temp stable, but I do put a little colder water.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
111 in Las Vegas yesterday, felt like someone opened the oven door. Today is not as bad at 104

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
How do you guys cope with the temperature if the tanks get to hot?

Is it safe to put ice cubes in the tank?

I'm struggling to keep my tank at the proper temp, I'm right at the limit of what is good for them.

I also don't pour ice cold water during water changes, try to keep the temp stable, but I do put a little colder water.

Air conditioning, my electric bill was over $350 this last month. The heat and the cold are what keep me from getting a huge tank in the garage. The extreme high and extreme cold are 100° apart at my house.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store